Feeling inadequate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Higher quality hubs are generally 'louder' than cheap ones. 'Louder' because the pitch is greater. This is because they have a greater number of spring-loaded pawls engaging the main hub. More pawls, more engagement points - this means quicker engagement from coasting to pedalling.

Campagnolo are 'noisy' - certainly the Super Record, C-Record of yore I used to have.

My current Dura Ace hubs are my 'quietest' pitch-wise, Hunt ceramic my 'loudest' and Zipp's somewhere in-between.

Cheaper hubs are fine, just slower to engage and generally lesser quality but, yes, also quieter if well-maintained due to their fewer pawls. Commuter bikes typically have hubs with fewer pawls; less of a need for fast engagement under intense load. My 'fixie' had super-quiet hubs; rubbish though, performance-wise.

Naturally, any hub not maintained properly will make a genuinely loud noise but this is somewhat different to the noise produced by good quality hubs where it is a matter of pitch rather than grating noise.

This is a far too serious answer.

Drago

Legendary Member
This forum is no place for serious discussion or authoritative facts.

Top Bottom