Fat Female Needs Help With Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wotwheels

Hello to everyone out there, I would really appreciate some advice/help with the following;

Very overweight female (250 llbs) :biggrin:

Old (43) - (still feel 18 though) :biggrin:

Has just moved back to the lovely area where I grew up - remembers those days when I seemed to spend the whole of the summer hols just riding my bike - want to get back on it, but haven't got a clue where to start.

I really don't want to walk into a shop where some 'child' will cheerfully wave me away with whatever gives them the biggest bonus!

I know that I will eventually have to walk into 'that shop' but would rather go in with a modicum of knowledge therefore I need advice as to what bike will suit me best, bearing in mind weight/age

- My first thoughts were a 'sit up & beg type' - it's a far more preferable option than riding with my head down and backside up!

- Then looked at the hybrids - am I right in thinking that these are some sort of cross between a Sit Up & Beg and a Mountain Bike? - Sturdy Frame & Wheels?

Any suggestions would be most welcome - I seem to have spent days on the Internet just looking!

tyred

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome.

Nothing wrong with a sit up and beg type bike if you're not interested in out and out speed. The hybrid is probably the modern day equivalent. They seem to range from basically mountain bikes with road tyres to something very close to racer with flat handlebars. The most important thing if you intend to ride on the road all the time is to avoid any kind of suspension. A wide range of gears is also a major plus if you haven't riden a bike in a long time. There are many threads discussing the merits of different bikes but I suspect you'd be looking at £250 and upwards for anything worth of having and avoid bikes from your local supermarket. Go to a proper cycle shop or even Halfords. Some of their bikes get good reviews on here.

Welcome Wotwheels

250 lbs is not that much the largest bloke I fitted for a bike was 335 lbs and he was fine.

What you need to do is the same as all of us is think about what type of riding you are wishing to do. 1st slow or fast, 2nd will you be going off road or staying on road. Then you need to think about how much money you wish to spend once you know these bits have a look at what brands your local bike shop (LBS) dose and have a look online at them with in your price band.

You are right "Hybrids" are a cross but of road and mountain.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Wotwheels, and welcome to the chat site.

First off congrats on wanting to get back on a bike. You will find a lot of people on here that were/are in a similar situation to you, myself included (I was also overweight and I'm also 43... I returned to cycling 3 years ago and am now 3 stones lighter :biggrin: ). You may find it hard work at first but very rewarding.

Any LBS (Local Bike Store) worth their salt will help you and advise you with a choice of bike. It is in their interest to help you purchase the correct bike for your needs and of course your return custom. You will need to try a few bikes so don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want, if you feel intimidated then walk. You will be suprised at how friendly most LBS' are. Try to avoid Halfords for the very reason that you mention.

More posters will be along to offer additional friendly advice.
Please keep us updated with how you get on.

garrilla

Hi

Check this thread to see if there is recoomended LBS (Local Bike Shop) first. http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11796 If you go to Halfords you will get the bike you deserve, if you go to a good LBS you will get the bike you want.

Sit and beg is good if it does what you want. If you want to to do more than just go local, ie excercise, you might want to go for an Hybrid, which are good for being upright but give you the extra bits for a longer ride.

You will probably want a 'ladies' frame, and you might think ahead in terms of mudguards, lights and any load-carrying equipment such as basket or paniers.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy you return to cycling.

OP
OP
W

Wotwheels

Many thanks for the prompt replies so far, I should think that I will be riding quite alot in the local woods (speed wont be an issue) so will a hybrid be ok?

jack the lad

Welcome

There's some relevant advice on this thread and lots of others in the beginners forum
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=31859

Have a look at a bike like this http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C109&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002908 It doesn't have to be that exact one, most manufacturers will have something similar in their range and around £250 - £300 gets you a good bike that won't hold you back. If you are strapped for cash get some advice from us about secondhand bikes rather than buying a sub £100 supermarket special.

Also make sure you get some good bike clothing. Padded cycling tights worn commando are best, definitely NOT anything with raised crotch seams, like jeans. Wicking tops are much nicer than cotton T shirts, which hold sweat and become very uncomfortable. For me this was the big secret of being able to enjoy cycling without discomfort. It doesn't need to cost a fortune - in fact you'll be more likely to get it from Lidl or Aldi than from a so called sports shop like JJB.

Start off gently. 43 isn't old, I started at 45 and wheezed and puffed my way round a flat 3 mile circuit when I first started, but within 3 years had done C2C and Lands End to John O'Groats. Ride short distances regularly rather than long ones infrequently and try to build up both speed and distance gradually, so you stay slightly out of breath and slightly tired after each ride rather than completely knackered. Have two rest days from cycling each week, go for a brisk walk instead.

Happy Cycling

jack the lad

Wotwheels said:
Many thanks for the prompt replies so far, I should think that I will be riding quite alot in the local woods (speed wont be an issue) so will a hybrid be ok?

The issue will be the state of the tracks you ride on. If it is muddy you might want chunky off road tyres. If it is bumpy, suspension forks could be a good idea. If it is smoothish paths a normal hybrid will be fine. Tyres are easy to get changed.

It is harder work cycling on loose surfaces, so you don't need as many miles to get the same benefit and it is nice to be away from traffic. Do try to build some road riding in though. For example, use the bike to go to the shops or visit friends so it becomes part of your normal lifestyle not an optional extra that's easier to give up!

spiro

I know you haven't got a bike yet but I see mention of suitable clothing. A good source I have found is Lidl, yes Lidl, last week they had cycle wear for both ladies and gents. Might be worth checking in your local store, if you have one and also signing up to their news letter so you'll know in advance the next time they feature it. One of the items they had was cycling shoes (trainer style) that can also have SDP cleats fitted and only £18.99, both sexes.

unfitbikerchick

Hiya Wotwheels!
You are a lady after my own heart, I actually just registered in order to say hi! As some of the other posters here can testify, I am alos a fat female trying to get back into cycling. I go on some rides with Bromley cyclists and also write my own blog www.unfitbikerchick.wordpress.com (not all cycling, real life gets in the way alot!)

Everyone has gven you good advice already. I would add to just get out and enjoy yourself - dont worry if you need to get off to take a breather or go up a hill, keep doing the journey and suddenly you will find the need to do those things gets less and less (although there are still many that beat me grrrr!) I would second the lidl/aldi etc bike bits and also keep an eye on ebay.

Best of luck with your endeavours, keep us posted :0)

Top Bottom