Elvis(h) is in the building

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have no intention of selling it although it’s far too small for my 14 year old son.

If you ever do consider selling it at some point in the future, please bear me in mind xxx

Finding a small steel bike in good nick isn't easy, as most of them have had such a rough life. FYI, my road bike is a Wiggins Rouen 650c with a 38cm frame. And it looks sizewise what the Elvish looks like when it's in the bike racks at Ely Station. :laugh: So yeah, I am somewhat undertall. :blush:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Thanks Reynard, I’ll let you know if we do decide to ever sell it.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Cheap and cheerful bike rack arrived today, I only needed the trough and it ended up being perfect for the job. I bolted it to the top shelf and Elvish is now up safely out of the way.

9-B569799-3-EC7-4109-9-C9-C-BC3-CC8-A18-F65.jpg

He’s far too small for anyone in the family but I can’t sell him, he’s just nice to own.

RMFrance

Nice work there - we do see some interesting small bikes here in France, and they often surprise me with the quality of their components.
I'd never ride an old bike without regreasing all bearings (particularly the BB), as 30-40 year-old grease will have hardened and no longer lubricate. :0(
I see you have the original Simplex front and rear changers - those fronts are getting hard to find, as they often crack with age (sometimes by over-tightening the clamp). You can clean the greyed Delrin material with a fine brass brush, and preserve it with an occasional wipe over with light oil. The rears are pretty trouble-free, although I clean and oil the jockey wheels now and then.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Thanks for the comments, it’s still there on display in the garage. You’re right about the bearings. A summer job is to get it down and service the head bearings and BB.

RMFrance

I wasn't suggesting you didn't already know about the bearings, as your work on the bike is impressive. It's more a stock comment I try to make at every opportunity to help others who might be less experienced in dealing with vintage bikes. :0)

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I wasn't suggesting you didn't already know about the bearings, as your work on the bike is impressive. It's more a stock comment I try to make at every opportunity to help others who might be less experienced in dealing with vintage bikes. :0)

Don’t worry, I didn’t take it as a criticism. Anyway the bike is really just an ornament, it’s far too small for any of us to ride. We’ve really kept it because it reminds us of a great holiday!

RMFrance

Don't stay away too long; there are many more tempting bikes over here in your size.
Ah, the thrill of the (bike) hunt... :0)

12boy

Guru
Just now found this post. Sure do like that Brown tape with that frame color. A brown saddle would look divine. If you do pass it on I'd hope the new owner would treat it with the TLC it deserves.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I was just looking at it today in the garage, now I have some time on my hands I’m thinking of getting it down and doing a bit more to it.

Top Bottom