Does Standover Height Matter At All?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NVR2L8

Well I bought a used bike based on my height. I'm a total beginner, so didn't think about top tube height initially. I'm 6'2" which puts me in the XL size on most bikes. Again, I was afraid of embarrassing myself since I haven't rode a bike since I was around 15 years old. I know that's kind of silly, but it is true. I never actually knew I was short legged until I measured my inseam. When I was in highschool I wore size 32x34 pants if that matters any lol.

The rest of the bike seems to fit me fine except for not enough room for the crown jewels (Again, I am beginner so I could def. be wrong haha). So far I haven't hit my baby makers so to speak. 🤞

I am getting pretty fond of my bike at this point so would prefer not to swap it at this point in time. That may change if I smack my gooseberries, that's for sure! I think for now I am going to ride what I have. Just crossed 100 miles and I don't seem to have any trouble with "normal" stops and starts. Hopefully this will continue but I suppose only time will tell.

Regards,

Philip

The average male medical inseam stat at 47.5% isn't really the whole story. The average is down around 45% in the lower height percentiles and over 50% for the upper.

Road Bike
Height 187 cm = 59 cm
Inseam 84 cm = 56 cm
Most people with short legs find they don't have the arm length to support sizing based on torso length. Anything over 59.5 cm was to long a TT for me with the longer stems common at the time. Despite some that would theorize I should have as long as 62 cm TT. Shorter was dependant on highrr stack height to avoid hunching.

Today I'm 4 cm shorter (medical) and pretty inflexible and thinking I may have to transition to a unicycle.

Top Bottom