Cycling on dual carriageway and car beeps...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A few years ago I was surprised to see the definition of a dual carriageway.

This is one that I would cycle..

View attachment 725451

Here's another
1711374868938.png

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Some dual carriageways are so safe, cycling is positively encouraged by the authorities with the provision of signage and even an occasional white line.

1711375648721.png

Brandane

Legendary Member
No roads are "safe".
Life isn't "safe".
Do your own risk assessment and take your chance.

For me, I try to avoid any busy roads no matter how many carriageways, lanes, or whatever it might have. Too many over aggressive, entitled, drunk, stoned, inattentive, incompetent, distracted, phone using, unlicensed, uninsured, disinterested, disqualified, and whatever other type of fellow road users are out there. And the busier the road, the greater the chance of an encounter with one of them, which for a cyclist is unlikely to end well.

None of this stops me cycling, but the older I get, the less I like it (same goes for driving and motorcycling to be fair) and the more fussy I get about where I will cycle.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I did the A66 through Middlesborough, then the A19 and A689 as far as Butterwick. I'd planned to cross the transporter bridge then head for Sedgefield, but I couldn't find the bridge.
I'm not been funny, but is farking massive and crosses the Tees down by the docks, how can you not find it?

grldtnr

No roads are "safe".
Life isn't "safe".
Do your own risk assessment and take your chance.

For me, I try to avoid any busy roads no matter how many carriageways, lanes, or whatever it might have. Too many over aggressive, entitled, drunk, stoned, inattentive, incompetent, distracted, phone using, unlicensed, uninsured, disinterested, disqualified, and whatever other type of fellow road users are out there. And the busier the road, the greater the chance of an encounter with one of them, which for a cyclist is unlikely to end well.

None of this stops me cycling, but the older I get, the less I like it (same goes for driving and motorcycling to be fair) and the more fussy I get about where I will cycle.

Brandane, that seems a very concise list of drivers faults, very much describes 99% of motor vehicle operators, but you left out other inattentive cyclist, disabled wheelchair Scooterist, and pretty much all those 2 wheeled e- scooter riders,
Domestos kills 99.9 % of all known germs, offer them a quick 'nip'

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The A505 Baldock bypass is prohibited to cyclists. Maybe because it goes through a tunnel.
I do regret not sneaking through for a ride before it opened.

When they were building that before it was open. They hadn’t put a bridge across it for the existing footpath right of way. We descended the bank, crossed what is now the bypass, at which point a Range Rover comes flying out the depths of the tunnel. We continued up the opposite bank and ignored them. We were on a right of way and there was no order closing it.

presta

Guru
I'm not been funny, but is farking massive and crosses the Tees down by the docks, how can you not find it?

Cycling down the A171 I could see it for miles, and assumed I'd have no problem, but when I was close enough for it to be obscured by buildings I found myself going round in circles, with people I asked shrugging and saying "dunno mate".

presta

Guru
I was once asked to leave the A2 near Gravesend by a motorway patrol. My mate was visibly knackered and the guy was very clear he had no right to ask me to leave but felt it would be best. I have cycled that stretch a few times since.
I did the bit from Faversham to Canterbury when I missed the way into the bits of old road running parallel with it.

Top Bottom