Cycle Torque Wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick1836

Über Member
Have been thinking of buying a 'cycle' torque wrench similar to the one below, how many CC members own / use one?

LifeLine-Essential-Torque-Wrench-Set-Workshop-Tools-W-88800mk2-0.jpg

Rustybucket

Veteran
I have that exact model and it does the job for me.
I highly recommend it

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've got the Superstar Components one. Looks remarkably similar. Also very useful for gunsmithing.

robgul

Legendary Member
I too have the one in the picture - it's badge-engineered by loads of suppliers/retailers. That said I also have a TOPEAK Torque 5 Mini Torque Wrench which is a much simpler gadget with several bit inserts (they also do a 6nm version IIRC)

Rob

OP
OP
mick1836

mick1836

Über Member
Ok, so quite a few CC members use a torque wrench of some type on their bike, so here is another question, how do you know to what poundage to tighten a particular bolt or nut?

S-Express

Ok, so quite a few CC members use a torque wrench of some type on their bike, so here is another question, how do you know to what poundage to tighten a particular bolt or nut?

Usually printed onto the component you are fitting. Stem bolts and bar clamps are typically 4/5nm, as are seat clamps. Other than those two areas, I can't think of anywhere else on a bike which routinely requires a precision torque setting - which is why something like a Ritchey torque key is ideal.

Non drive crank bolts on outboard cups 14/15 nm, disc rotor bolts, disc calliper mounting bolts etc. We always use one in our workshop then we know it's right

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Mine looks identical, except the branding, mine's 'Giant' Not really sure how good it is :blush: Bought it a couple of years ago when I got my first carbon bike. This summer the seatpost tube cracked & after the supplier initially arguing that I had overtightened, I got a new frame. Collar stated max 7nm I set the wrench to 6nm & a week or so back the carbon seatpost on my ti cracked right at the top of the tube :sad: Hoping to get the wrench checked/calibrated next week. I'll let you know the results, ie how accurate it is :okay:

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer

Apart from stem & seat bolts which generally have the torque setting printed on them, generally, most of the normal bolts like brakes tend to be about 8 Nm. But I do have a Park Tools book which confirms what things should be.

Top Bottom