phillip scott
Über Member
Does your club have a welfare officer or somebody who is responsible for dealing with complaints from members, my club doesn't have one but it has been mentioned, I was curious to know if this is the norm amongst clubs.
I am CWO, and Secretary as it happens, for my club. Appointing a trained CWO is a requirement for clubs to be affiliated to British Cycling so I presume yours is not affiliated. It's a relatively simple task to become a CWO - the usual criminal record checks plus a 3 hour training course from a BC approved deliverer.
We've had a Welfare Officer for several years but there has never been a need for any action.
You mentioned complaints. The CWO is not necessarily the person to complain to as the remit is quite specific. In general I deal with complaints Club Sec rather than CWO.
[/QUOTE
I am CWO, and Secretary as it happens, for my club. Appointing a trained CWO is a requirement for clubs to be affiliated to British Cycling so I presume yours is not affiliated. It's a relatively simple task to become a CWO - the usual criminal record checks plus a 3 hour training course from a BC approved deliverer.
We've had a Welfare Officer for several years but there has never been a need for any action.
You mentioned complaints. The CWO is not necessarily the person to complain to as the remit is quite specific. In general I deal with complaints Club Sec rather than CWO.
Safeguarding is not just relevant to young people.Does this apply even if your club is 18 and over only?
G**** is our qualified club welfare officer, a critical position to ensure the good & ethical running of our club. Lead for welcome rides and any concerns relating to members
I can't give a specific answer to this question as my club has members under 18. You haven't commented as to why your club is considering appointing a CWO or if the club is affiliated to BC. If the club is affiliated or wishes to become affiliated BC will require the club to appoint a CWO. I think the opening lines of the BC role description for the CWO is useful:Does this apply even if your club is 18 and over only?
I’ve been the CWO for my club for around 15 years. I did have a couple of years break but have recently re-qualified and had an up to date DBS check. I did an online course with NSPCC, which took about 3 hours and cost £25, which was reimbursed by my club. The Costs of the DBS check are borne by British Cycling.
Your club needs a CWO if you have members under 18 or your club is listed as accepting members under 18. In 15 years of being the Welfare Officer, I have never had to take any action regarding child welfare.