Checking whether a foreign company is legit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
My bank recently blocked a SWIFT payment I tried to make to a foreign company, because they thought it was suspicious. I agree it looked suspicious. My uncle is very concerned I am being scammed. Is there any way of checking, quickly, whether a foreign company is legitimate?

classic33

Leg End Member
Where is the company?

Trickedem

Guru
My bank recently blocked a SWIFT payment I tried to make to a foreign company, because they thought it was suspicious. I agree it looked suspicious. My uncle is very concerned I am being scammed. Is there any way of checking, quickly, whether a foreign company is legitimate?

A legitimate larger company may have a Legal Entity Identifier. You can check here https://search.gleif.org/#/search/
Not a guarantee at all, but may help.
The fact that your bank blocked the payment is a definite 'red flag'

If YOU thought it was suspicious - why did you make the payment?

albion

Guru
Probably on their list of known scammers. If it involves bitcoin then paying in is often fine. Getting it back out is a different matter.

Banks differ on how they protect you, so you might have been very lucky.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ I suspect the link is to Companies House in the country of Cyprus whereas 'North Cyprus' is the Turkish part of the island.

Top Bottom