Caravan - yes/no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Horrible things, we have a golden rule, We never stay anywhere thats worse than our house. Otherwise it’s not a holiday.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I can't get my head around those - I've looked at images and such and they appears to be the worst kind of compromise between a tent and caravan.

One thing a caravan would offer though, is somewhere to store bikes....:whistle:
We looked at them as a step up. We started camping, then as the kids (and us..) got older, SWMBO didn't want to sleep on the floor anymore, so a trailer tent gave us almost proper beds, but still the freedom of camping. Storage was a non issue too as they stored on their side. We moved from TT to campervan, and now moving onto a bigger one. I do hotels, when work are paying.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
£10K, plus associated costs - extra fuel and tyre wear on Volvo, ongoing maintenance of van. (Plus the PIA of towing the thing, parking etc.)
All that will pay for an awful lot of rented holiday accomodation, and you won't be buying a depreciating asset.
You will even have a view out of your front window.
i think along similar lines , although i would need a car capable of towing a van as well so i reckon i could get at least 10 years of static holiday park hols before i would break even if i bought my own before you take into account wear and tear .

D

Deleted member 26715

If you're happy campers why not invest in a decent tent.....ie karsten/ de waard etc?
They can't stop the wind blowing the canvas all over though can they, having to get down on the floor to sleep.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Having been brought up as an only child having to go caravanning, I would never have one. It was fun to set up but the number of long, wet holidays outnumbered the good ones.

The costs have rocketed for pitches- though for a family of four to get away for a week or two I can see the attraction.

Hicky

Guru
They can't stop the wind blowing the canvas all over though can they, having to get down on the floor to sleep.
Have you any experience of the above tents, they're v solid and can stand up to the worst weather, camp cot type beds, there are some very good products out that means no sleeping on the floor....the only problem then is pack space.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do it.
Camping and young kids is a great combo. When mine were young we either camped in a variety of big and small tents, static Caravans or cottages/Gites etc. The Camping won hands-down, especially on Eurocamp/Key camps when they were at the right age.
At that time our own towing caravan was not really an option in terms of space (where to keep) and cost.

In my second life with @Hill Wimp it was clear Tents were not an option, so we bought our little Caravan Mavis (only had a small car), and it was great! But really we needed a bigger car and that wasn't on my plan. Ultimately we went the MOHO now Campervan route.

But Kids love camping, they get to be outdoors, run around and play with other kids etc. and are happy to mix in with the daily chores (until teenagers). As somebody wise said about holidays 'if the kids are happy, the parents are happy'....

Top Bottom