Buying a decent sausage (ooh erh matron)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeskyWabbits

Regular
Just make sure he really does make his own. I have used the same butcher for many years but recently found out that he stopped making his own some time ago, very disappointing.

Another way is to buy/borrow a sausage machine and make your own
It is a bit of a messy job, but only in the same way as home brewing can be

For the somewhat widely marketed ones we buy the "Black Farmer" brand. Always good

We're slightly limited in that Mrs PP has to have gluten free food, which rules out quite a few otherwise perfectly Ok sausages

Tesco's "Finest" range of sausages are all gluten free.

Very nice they are, too. I'm particularly fond of the Cumberland ones.

presta

Guru
I eat these, grilled, mainly because I do most of my shopping at Tesco. I used to buy the value ones at one time, but went off them when they changed the recipe. I think they've stopped them altogether now.

Last edited:
I enjoy perching a nice sausage on the bbq mrs Gimlet, certainly after rubbing liberally with olive oil.

I like my sausages with v little seasoning, or so I thought. Asked a butcher friend of mine to make me just a pork sausage, nothing else - erghh, was horrible, so bland. His recommendation was 'classically seasoned' from Co-op - absolutely by far and away the nicest sausages I have ever tried form a supermarket.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hello
I grow my own meat - pigs are easier to keep than hens, then get a decent butcher to make sausages. I use Thomas Shepherson In Marsden

You get about 40 KG of sausages per pig, plus the usual joints

If back garden pig keeping isn’t for you, you could just approach a butcher (with a good reputation) and ask for them to make sausages.
I would look to club together with friends to make it worthwhile

my 19 year old niece has been raising piglets and selling them as sausages for the last few years... she makes a small fortune.

Currently enjoying Aldi's Lincolnshire sausages (green pack, not the SS type) which are quite nice. I can't enjoy a Cumberland sausage these days because having spent a few years in NW Cumbria, Cumberland sausage's seem to be rather average outside* of the county. There's more it than just coarse-cut meat in a chunky coil.

*to be fair, there were a lot of average Cumberland sausages inside the county too, but at least i had a choice.

These lobbed on the barbie ... oh yes!
233944011_0_640x640.jpg

Top Bottom