Broken Rails .. Selle Italia “ Men” saddle…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Broke the rails on the saddle … Actually bent the seat pin as well … Falmouth Quarry car park height barrier, 1 … Davids new bike, 0.
The bikes fine, the saddle seat itself is undamaged .. the rails are snapped … The bikes ok ..
I need some replacement rails …. Any ideas chaps and chapesses ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Buy a new saddle and seat post. Thank your lucky stars the car park bar wasn't lower (or bike higher).

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
The plot thickens … the height restriction bar is clearly marked 2.2 meters.
We drove underneath it last summer with a bike on the back with no problem..
At a local friends suggestion… We returned to the scene 30 mins ago … there is a new speed bump …
Under The Height Restriction Bar … !!
The actual gap is < 2.18 meters …
Oh dear …. Someone is in for a bad day at work on Wednesday ….
Our friend has mentioned that he knows of 3 local car parks which have had speed bumps installed under the height restriction bar ….

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You say the bike is fine, but I would give the seat tube a close inspection. The seat post and saddle might of taken most of the impact, but there may well be some damage.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
You say the bike is fine, but I would give the seat tube a close inspection. The seat post and saddle might of taken most of the impact, but there may well be some damage.

I have .. I’ve been an Aircraft / Rail Structural and Mechanical Engineer for 50 years … close inspection for paint cracking and damage to the tube was carried out soon after the impact …
In retrospect I suspect that the impact was more of a glancing blow to the trailing edge of the seat structure compressing the seat and breaking the rails … the bend to the seat pin was as a result of drag forces ..
But thank you for advising.. we are often so close to an event that we miss the obvious …

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I take your point, but counting on the 2 cm difference would be a bit daft!

True, however if last time you very carefully inched under it with a dilligent banksman to check for clearance and no horrendous occurrances; without any warnings that something had changed this time you'd be forgiven for just cracking on; wouldn't you?

Plus the clearance is less than stated so whoever's responsible for that must bear some blame..

Top Bottom