Are you going vegan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Why?

Genuine question.

Indian Hindu friends are Vegetarian and no problem to cook for.

Vegans, on the otherhand:

https://www.veganlifemag.com/should-vegans-eat-figs/

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I can't see myself ever going totally meat free but after having watched the game changer on Netflix I've come to the conclusion that the days of eating meat are coming to an end for lots of different reasons. Not just my personal health but that of the planet.
This is not a particular well balanced documentary, it's a bit evangelical, it's easy to pick holes in BUT, I absolutely agree it's worth watching, the info about the impact of meat-eating is particularly eye-opening for many. The fact is that there are few (if any) downsides to heading towards a low meat/no meat diet.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My vege friend says you used to be able to get a decent vege option most places, but now the one option for weirdos is vegan, which isn't half so tasty.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If you don't fancy 'Veganuary.

Try 'Regenuary'...

Try to source your meat, milk, cheese, and eggs from sources that farm sustainably, that regenerate earth fertility, and build soil for the future.

Pasture fed meats for example.

Cut out the factory farmed stuff.. Terrible for animals, and the environment with all that shipped soya, and slurry effluent.

Well grazed, and cared for pasture, can actually sequester carbon by encouraging deeper rooted grasses.

Natural grassland habitats are supposed to have large herbivores grazing.. That's a natural ecosystem situation.

Eat less animal products, but pay a bit more, and source them well.

Become a sustainable locavore.
Eat what grows in your area.

Eat seasonally, eat from your region..
Eat well. Eat deliciously.

Hint _ that's not avocado's and almonds in the UK.
Sorry awfully forward, but it got back-ended on the last page.

I'm repeating cos I think it's a viable option for those who truly care about food and it's impact.

'Going vegan' to save the planet is a tad simplistic.

Avocado's do grow on trees, but not in this country, and not without a lot of inputs generally.

As those of us in the Regen' Ag circles are often wont to say

"It's the how, not the cow"

My vege friend says you used to be able to get a decent vege option most places, but now the one option for weirdos is vegan, which isn't half so tasty.

They could take their own, organic cheese to sprinkle on the top.. :angel:

I was vegetarian for fifteen years or so..

Now I eat a bit of meat if it's from a good source.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not a chance. I do usually have far more veg on my plate, but beef and chicken is my favourite.

Recently went to Bem Brazil in Manchester. Had no carbs, but salad and non stop meat served from skewers. Stayed away from rice, potatoes and chips..

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Indian Hindu friends are Vegetarian and no problem to cook for.

Vegans, on the otherhand:

https://www.veganlifemag.com/should-vegans-eat-figs/

Cheers PK.

I think you may have found quite an obscure issue there...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not really each to his own, is it? Industrial fishing and meat production affects everybody negatively, not just the consumer. “Like” sounds a bit selfish as a justification.

The good news is that you can get sustainably sourced chicken and fish.

You just have to pay more, in the case of chicken, or sometimes eat the odder sorts of fish.

Industrial farming of animals is an abomination.
Industrialised farming of any sort, is very bad for the environment.

MarkF

Guru
Not vegan and not vegetarian either.
For three reasons
1. Bacon.
2. Sausages.
3. Cheese.

Number 2 is the sort of "food" that l would never contemplate putting in my body, l mean, you have no idea what you are consuming!

Went into an abbtoir via work as a young man, came out a veggie. MrsF moved to vegan from veggie a couple of years back on the behest of my radicalised vegan daughter. I've now gone vegan and it'll make FA all difference to my diet really.

My 2 sons are meat eaters & we are fine with that, just not the production of it. A future generation will look back in horror at these times and rightly so.

Went vegetarian a few years back (I think I've previously mentioned my andouillette misadventure once or eighteen times), honestly don't miss it. Ignoring the ethics, the smell of meat is properly repugnant.

Gave up eggs a couple of years ago - the stuff that happens in hatcheries is too horrid to ignore.

Veganism is currently too far for me, because of dairy. That's a project for when I get my life back on track.

Top Bottom