Annual P60s......does anyone keep their's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am 75 and been retired 12 years.
In that time no one has ever asked about my p60 details.
Any tax I pay is taken at source.
I am now inclined to just shred them. What think you ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it's best to keep tax info/paperwork for 7 years in case HMRC come knocking if on self-assessment
If I was you, I would scan, save and then shred and recycle the paper

Brandane

Legendary Member
I declared myself self employed for 1 year, back in 2003/04.
Every year since then, the brown envelope drops through my door in May, telling me that I need to do a self assessment tax return for the previous year. And every year I promise myself to have it done by the end of May, and every year I leave it until a week before the 31st January deadline :rolleyes:.
So yes, I keep P60's for about 10 years.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've kept all mine, wage slips too. Just one of those things where I just don't get rid.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I don't keep mine. If No one has ever asked me for them up to now then they never will, so I throw them away.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Even on a pension you still get P60s. I used to file all mine, from the various jobs I've had, still got them, though I've got rid of all the pay slips I used to keep. Looking at them sometimes I wonder how on earth I managed to live on that, going back to the '70s. It's like looking at ancient parish records. "For maintaining the churchyard and preventing the goats from wandering, to John Bonyfingers, one Groat per year" or some such.

They symbolise all those years of getting up, going to work, paying bills, going to bed knackered so you could do the same again merging together as you look back. It's said that people validate their identity and sense of self through work, and are likely to kick the bucket once retirement comes but even though I mostly enjoyed work, I just don't miss it.

Sharky

Guru
I'm a bit like you, retired, never have to do a tax return, so I keep them somewhere in the house, but where I don't know.

One thing I've started to do for hospital appointment letters for me and the OH, is to create a WhatsApp group and take a photo of the letter and thus stored in WhatsApp. This thead has made my think - I'm going to set up another group for "Finance" and store such documents in there. The paper copies I'll probably stuff in a drawer somewhere and then forget where they are.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I declared myself self employed for 1 year, back in 2003/04.
Every year since then, the brown envelope drops through my door in May, telling me that I need to do a self assessment tax return for the previous year. And every year I promise myself to have it done by the end of May, and every year I leave it until a week before the 31st January deadline :rolleyes:.
So yes, I keep P60's for about 10 years.

You can ask to come off self assessment.
I did this last year as my tax return was so vanilla that it made no point. They were happy for me to stop.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm a bit like you, retired, never have to do a tax return, so I keep them somewhere in the house, but where I don't know.

One thing I've started to do for hospital appointment letters for me and the OH, is to create a WhatsApp group and take a photo of the letter and thus stored in WhatsApp. This thead has made my think - I'm going to set up another group for "Finance" and store such documents in there. The paper copies I'll probably stuff in a drawer somewhere and then forget where they are.

Of all the places in the world to keep financial documents WhatsApp is probably the worst.

Top Bottom