Aldi Vs Lidl..... who shops where.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
Our Aldi is always packed with shoppers. Lidl is nearer and usually empty but great offers on Meat so go there and stock up on meat for our freezer. We like Lidl but Aldi far cheaper.
As Pensioner’s we can shop around.

simongt

Guru
I will buy haloumi from Aldi, but that's it.
Now haloumi sliced, a dusting of cayenne pepper and done in an air fryer; cracking Gromit - ! ^_^

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Lidl for me simply because there are two stores near me and both about a 5 mile round trip by bike compared to the two nearest Aldis which are both about a 20 mile round trip by bike. That said I will make the trip to Aldi for some specific products (own brand 'Shreddies' for example) when necessary.
There are also three bigger name shops of varying sizes also within the 5 mile round trip rage so I'm not limited for choice.

biketrailerguy

Aldi for us for most of the 'general shopping' as it's a seven minute bike ride uphill, thus empty and a five minute loaded ride downhill back home

Similar for me/us, each about 7mins away - Aldi bike, Lidl walking (no car). Aldi top of hill accessed by bike with trailer, Lidl using rucksack and overflow bag. Alternate depending on what's needed.
95%+ done by me as neither of us can see the point in wasting 2 lots of time on such activities.

Edit - Just remembered - only time mrsbtg is involved is when Sainsbury's - in their infinite wisdom, stops messing about with 15% off vouchers and sends us the 20% ones - so she stocks up with stuff we'd not otherwise buy. I meet her with trolley and trailer contents home.

Last edited:
Sort of hamstrung by the fact that there's a small Aldi in Ely (5 miles away) but the nearest two Lidls are either in March (a small one) or in Huntington (a much bigger one), both equating to something like a 40-mile round trip.

I'll go to Aldi in Ely for the things Tesco either doesn't do (big blocks of what I'll call "cooking" cheddar) as I can't be doing with buying tiddly packets for something I use a lot of, or doesn't do very well (Aldi's basic corned beef is light years ahead in terms of taste and texture, their peppermint tea is 75p cheaper on 40 tea bags and the venison burgers are lovely). But I wouldn't do a weekly shop in there as I find the lack of choice rather frustrating.

I do actually prefer Lidl over Aldi, but I'll only go if I'm already in the area for something else e.g. on the way home from a cat show. Other than Christmas, where I'll go to the big one in Huntington and stock up on their festive stuff, as some of the things (spiced biscuits, marzipan, Dutch gingerbread and some of the cheeses) are very good. Again, wouldn't do a weekly shop in there, but it's good for the bits I can't get anywhere else.

And tbh, they're not really any cheaper than the "big four" supermarkets if, like me, you largely buy own brand anyways - you get that perception because quite often the packs of things are smaller. If you compare price per kilo on things, there's very little difference when you spread it out over the cost of a trolley full of goods. Some things are genuinely cheaper e.g. the corned beef I mentioned, but other things, particularly some of their food "special buys" are actually more expensive. So really, it all comes out in the wash at the end of the day.

Also, Aldi's milk chocolate is bloody ghastly. It's ridiculously sweet, even more so than Cadbury's dairy milk.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Aldi's grapes are also very vinegary and sour. Thinking about it, its probably cheaper to get fruit and veg at M and S when you factor in how much I throw out from Aldi and Lidl because its gone off too quick or I don't like it. You have to really pick and choose their fruit and veg and get it from the back as well.

Mike_P

Guru
Look at the codes on the labels, Both seem currently to have a consecutive numbering in the 11xx range. Select from those that have highest as those will be the fresher.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aldi's grapes are also very vinegary and sour. Thinking about it, its probably cheaper to get fruit and veg at M and S when you factor in how much I throw out from Aldi and Lidl because its gone off too quick or I don't like it. You have to really pick and choose their fruit and veg and get it from the back as well.

You need to check the variety of grape. Thomson white are horrid!

Fastpedaller

I use Lidl. There isn't an Aldi near us, and I've only been in Aldi twice and was underwhelmed. There has been very little mention of cycle parts, so here goes........ My introduction to SPD's was when I bought some Lidl pedals and cycling shoes about 14 years ago! The shoes have lasted well (I've repaired them though) and I bought another pair a few years later which haven't been as good. Both were better than Aldi's (bought when they introduced delivery) which I immediately returned because the soles were as bendy as rubber bands. The Lidl pedals lasted many years (I suspect they were made by Wellgo, but can't be sure). The Lidl mini alloy pumps are excellent (and fit inside the Brompton seatpin!)
ETA Lidl cycle clothing was great at first but got steadily worse over the years.

Top Bottom