20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cl5pqkdywe8o.amp

Scotland to follow suit. Obviously they too realise that active travel for short journeys urgently needs to become the norm.

Excellent news

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I wonder about the enforceability of 20mph limits from a legal standpoint.

When some were first introduced years ago, strictly the limit was 'advisory' because there was no provision in the Road Traffic Acts for a 20mph limit.

Hopefully, that's changed, but around here the handful of 20mph limits are only indicated by signing on the road surface.

Does anyone know of 20mph limits indicated by signs similar to 30mph limits?

That would indicate to me the limit is enforceable in the usual way.

Well, it wouldn't have been doing a ton on the motorway would it?

This link https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/10/made?view=plain suggests (according to my reading of it) that 20mph signs have a different format to 30, 40 etc mph speed limit signs.

I have seen a few, in my area (South Tyneside), but, have not actually measured them to ensure they comply exactly.

In my experience they are routinely ignored (even by buses), and, enforcement is zero.

I assume that speed detection equipment has an accuracy tolerance?, I do wonder if the currently common methods (eg Cameras and hand held 'speed guns" are actually capable of detecting infringement at 20mph?, my main reason for assuming they cannot, is the apparent lack of enforcement, which, could, I would suspect be a real money spinner, as well as improving road safety.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
We are supposed to be getting 30 km/hr limits towards the end of next year although I expect a lot of backlash. It won't be enforced anyway. None of the other motoring laws are any more.

This link https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/10/made?view=plain suggests (according to my reading of it) that 20mph signs have a different format to 30, 40 etc mph speed limit signs.

I have seen a few, in my area (South Tyneside), but, have not actually measured them to ensure they comply exactly.

In my experience they are routinely ignored (even by buses), and, enforcement is zero.

I assume that speed detection equipment has an accuracy tolerance?, I do wonder if the currently common methods (eg Cameras and hand held 'speed guns" are actually capable of detecting infringement at 20mph?, my main reason for assuming they cannot, is the apparent lack of enforcement, which, could, I would suspect be a real money spinner, as well as improving road safety.

I read that the law had to be changed for the 20 mph to be enforceable
The same article said that this happened quite recently - it was sort of snuck in on an innocuous part of something else

A lot of the justification for using them says things like the average speed reducing from 33 mph to 25 mph - a great reduction
but clearly , if it can be enforced, then a huge money making opportunity if the Police decided to milk it

I can imagine it being left for a few years and then cameras appearing on the most obvious places first - outside school etc
then gradually becoming more common on all sorts fo fairly main roads through places

Mind you if you look at other European countries a lot of normal urban speed limits only a bit higher
so it isn;t as radical a change as people think - it just depends on the roads they do it on

Emanresu

I assume that speed detection equipment has an accuracy tolerance?, I do wonder if the currently common methods (eg Cameras and hand held 'speed guns" are actually capable of detecting infringement at 20mph?,

Yes they are tested and accredited.

"The complete calibration process shall be carried out annually. Any maintenance work on a device should be followed by functional checks to determine whether the calibration of the device remains valid. If not, the complete calibration procedure shall be undertaken."

https://assets.publishing.service.g...0b670a8025561/17550-cal-guide-UNIPARSL700.pdf

dicko

Guru
Last week whilst visiting relatives we had to drive thro a 20 mph zone past a school. It felt like time had stopped for that brief 100 metres. It must be sheer hell to live in Wales.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes they are tested and accredited.

"The complete calibration process shall be carried out annually. Any maintenance work on a device should be followed by functional checks to determine whether the calibration of the device remains valid. If not, the complete calibration procedure shall be undertaken."

https://assets.publishing.service.g...0b670a8025561/17550-cal-guide-UNIPARSL700.pdf

Not only that, but each time a device is used it should be tested by having a colleague drive past in a car with a calibrated speedo. The servicing, maintenance, calibration and daily testing regime is very rigorous and records are scrupulous. Of all the tens of millions of tickets written over the years only a tiny fradtuon have every been avoided by question marks over the efficacy or the measuring equipment.

Fixed cameras are another matter, particularly in the early days...

Drago

Legendary Member
It must be sheer hell to live in Wales.

Or bliss if you live near a school, ride a bicycle, or have to cross a road at any time...

People need to get a grip. All they are being asked to do is drive a little more slowly. It's hardly difficult or onerous. Indeed, if they had driven sensibly and not hooned about the place like loons these measurers would not be necessary. Motorists have very much brought this upon themselves with their behaviour.

Society needs to realise that tin boxes are not the dominant life form on the planet, although a visitor from outer space could certainly be forgiven for thinking that.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Last week whilst visiting relatives we had to drive thro a 20 mph zone past a school. It felt like time had stopped for that brief 100 metres. It must be sheer hell to live in Wales.

Not really. It definitely makes a difference to me on the bike, and it really doesn't bother me much when driving. There are a few places where it does feel unnecessarily slow, but most of the 20 limits don't actually feel too bad.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Or bliss if you live near a school, ride a bicycle, or have to cross a road at any time...

People need to get a grip. All they are being asked to do is drive a little more slowly. It's hardly difficult or onerous. Indeed, if they had driven sensibly and not hooned about the place like loons these measurers would not be necessary. Motorists have very much brought this upon themselves with their behaviour.

Society needs to realise that tin boxes are not the dominant life form on the planet, although a visitor from outer space could certainly be forgiven for thinking that.

I think @dicko was in jest

Seriously??

There's a few 20mph zones by me (England) and it's no drama at all.

Doesn't add anything extra to journeys as you still have to wait at junctions to get out further up the road. Makes it so much nicer for crossing the road as a pedestrian too.

You'd best stay away from Wales so I can have my nice bike rides there safely.

Top Bottom