Bikes on a train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Bikes on Trains. I wanted to take mine when I went down to Newton Abbot to look at the motor bike I subsequently bought. GWR policy only can take bikes with wheels upto 20" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so 26", 700c AND MODERN 28" OUT. So I was limited to walking and buses when I got there. . Shame I would like to have had a ride around the place.Gone are the days when there was a goods van for such like. A backward step.

that is absolute poppycock.

In common with most companies, up to 20" folders can be carried at anytime etc etc. other bikes there are restrictions and booking procedures and max no of bikes per train, but they are not banned.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was looking into taking my bike on the train, so I could do one of the coast to coast rides, not only was the fare extortionate but a pre-booked bike space wasn't a guarantee there would be room for your bike, you would think that with so many European share holders there would be some input on how to improve our train services, I guess they just prefer to milk our system to benefit their own.

It takes a little bit of planning and obviously you need to book in advance for best fares, but four of us did an A->B four day ride reaching start and leaving finish by train. Its easier than it used to be, you used to have to reserve the cycle bit separately by phone, but most places its now easy to do online.

It could do with more spaces on popular times and routes but its definitely improving.

figbat

Slippery scientist
that is absolute poppycock.

In common with most companies, up to 20" folders can be carried at anytime etc etc. other bikes there are restrictions and booking procedures and max no of bikes per train, but they are not banned.

Let's study the GWR cycling by train brochure:

1715589251335.png

BUT!!

1715589282290.png

So that works out as a maximum tyre width of ~2.7" and a maximum rim diameter of ~20". I wonder if they meant "rim" rather than "tyre"? And if they meant "diameter" rather than "radius"? So it seems you're OK with a shopper fat bike but not a tourer.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was looking into taking my bike on the train, so I could do one of the coast to coast rides, not only was the fare extortionate but a pre-booked bike space wasn't a guarantee there would be room for your bike,
It's a guarantee in the sense that a seat reservation guarantees a seat and if it doesn't happen, then you get some concessions about travelling on a replacement train or alternative transport, as long as you give the crew chance to throw an intruder out of the space.

you would think that with so many European share holders there would be some input on how to improve our train services, I guess they just prefer to milk our system to benefit their own.
European trains aren't universally great for bikes. They range from more space than is usually needed for free (some French and German regionals) or paid (most Belgian InterCity trains) through limited off-peak first-come unreservable (Dutch) to total pains in the bum needing dismantling (Spanish, some French and German high-speed).

T4tomo

Legendary Member

View attachment 730717
BUT!!

View attachment 730718

So that works out as a maximum tyre width of ~2.7" and a maximum rim diameter of ~20". I wonder if they meant "rim" rather than "tyre"? And if they meant "diameter" rather than "radius"? So it seems you're OK with a shopper fat bike but not a tourer.

Extra deep rims wont fit into the hanging up hooks, that's what that is on about, should say rim depth not diameter. so Fat bikes and 60mm aero wheel road bikes are out

mercalia

The 20" wheel limit is for folding bikes to be classed as luggage (so carried any time without reservation), probably after some jokers tried to take paratrooper bikes or something similar. Larger-wheel bikes are carried but need reservation on intercity-style trains and must go in a badly-designed cupboard. Official page is https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/journey-information/on-board/cycles
nope I was told the racks can only accomodate 20" wheels

mercalia

View attachment 730717
BUT!!

View attachment 730718

That is exactly what I read and asked one of the ticket guys on the Paddington to Newton Abbott train about this and he explained the bikes had to held vertically in racks and 20" the max wheel size that will fit into them. The train was one of those with the sloping front end

That is exactly what I read and asked one of the ticket guys on the Paddington to Newton Abbott train about this and he explained the bikes had to held vertically in racks and 20" the max wheel size that will fit into them. The train was one of those with the sloping front end

As a (fairly) frequent flyer on GWR Paddington trains, I am highly skeptical of this. All my journeys have been with 700c wheels.
(of various tyre sizes, but nothing massive, and I don't have crazy deep-section rims!)

Was this guy actually next to the rack when he said this? If not, did you at least see the rack? Was it like any others pictured on this thread?

All uphill

Still rolling along
nope I was told the racks can only accomodate 20" wheels

I frequently travel on GWR trains with my tourer; normally I don't reserve a space. I avoid bank Holidays and rush hours.

I've had to move suitcases occasionally but have never failed to get on-board with my bike and complete my journey.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Ok so its second hand poppycock, your man at Paddington is clueless and doesn't understand his own literature or hardware.

Top Bottom