Yose Power Rear Hub...Torque Arm Needed or Not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm aware the Yose Power rear hub kit is a basic affair with a low end controller, and its a bit unmodulated, but im happy enough with it as a cheap conversion. Hopefully I'll use it less and less and move back to a normal bike more but that's by the by.

Im just wondering if i should be adding a torque arm? And if so, any recommendations?

I put on a couple of stones during COVID (and there's only so long that excuse lasts!) and if im using a bike, I use it, load up the panniers etc, so ive been technically a bit naughty and plumped for the 350W kit, to give me that extra push uphill with the extra weight and load without going mad speed-wise. I figure uphill, 350 is doing for me and my load, what a 250 does for a featherweight rider...

But as the motor is generating more torque, is it likely to chew up my rear dropouts without a torque arm?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm aware the Yose Power rear hub kit is a basic affair with a low end controller, and its a bit unmodulated, but im happy enough with it as a cheap conversion. Hopefully I'll use it less and less and move back to a normal bike more but that's by the by.

Im just wondering if i should be adding a torque arm? And if so, any recommendations?

I put on a couple of stones during COVID (and there's only so long that excuse lasts!) and if im using a bike, I use it, load up the panniers etc, so ive been technically a bit naughty and plumped for the 350W kit, to give me that extra push uphill with the extra weight and load without going mad speed-wise. I figure uphill, 350 is doing for me and my load, what a 250 does for a featherweight rider...

But as the motor is generating more torque, is it likely to chew up my rear dropouts without a torque arm?

What frame material ?

Dadam

Über Member
What's the torque? It's peak torque not max continuous power that would rip the axle out of the dropouts. Also how deep in the dropouts does it fit? I put a torque arm on my 250w Woosh kit as the axle was quite shallow in the dropouts (2019 Giant hybrid).

On balance for the 10-15 quid they cost I'd fit one.

Jameshow

Veteran
If your not precious, and you have a solid axle with enough thread you could put some large washers possibly roughened up to grip the drop outs?

Top Bottom