x

• Thread starter Deleted member 35268
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Sacrifice a slightly over size key and try to rap it in place before trying again.

Maybe a drip of plus gas to help it along?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I had exactly this issue with a MTB of mine. In the end I very energetically hammered an oversized Torx bit into the hex and carefully applied torque.

If this failed to work I was going to get the Plusgas on it, but you need to invert the bike and spray from the underside of the steerer to hit the star nut (this is likely the bit that's seized, rather than at the top cap).

Ultimately I was planning to drill it out if it didn't budge. This should get the top cap off meaning you can remove the fork from the frame. You may then need to hammer the remaining bolt through the steerer and fit a new star nut, bolt and possibly top cap (depending how precise your drilling was).

Big John

Guru
I've never had one stick so I've had no experience of 'unsticking' one. That said if I had a problem and the only option was to drill it out I'd be facing more woe trying to shift the star nut. If there's some way to get some plus gas on it, like figbat suggests, I'd try that first but give it a good dose and time for it to do it's job. That'll save you trying to shift a star nut and replace it with another. I've never replaced a star nut and I don't know how easy it is to fit without the proper tool. Good luck. I hope it all works out. Let us all know how you get on 👍

I've never had one stick so I've had no experience of 'unsticking' one. That said if I had a problem and the only option was to drill it out I'd be facing more woe trying to shift the star nut. If there's some way to get some plus gas on it, like figbat suggests, I'd try that first but give it a good dose and time for it to do it's job. That'll save you trying to shift a star nut and replace it with another. I've never replaced a star nut and I don't know how easy it is to fit without the proper tool. Good luck. I hope it all works out. Let us all know how you get on 👍

Assuming it is a star nut rather than a bung, all you need to do is hammer the existing one down the tube about an inch then fit the replacement as normal.

13 rider

Guru
Before attempting any hammering in torx bits or oversize keys a good squirt of penetrating lube can't do any harm ,give it plenty of time to soak in and possible multiple applications, I have a local bike shop I trust and would probably take it to them and tell them the full story and see what they say ,I'd guess they would have come across similar situations and how all the tricks to help

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 35268

x

Last edited by a moderator:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How the heck has all that stuck - I always use a bit of grease. Try a piece of wood and a hammer and tap the sides of the spacers to free them up. Or, assuming it's an alloy steerer, wood on top of steerer, and tap the fork down with a hammer (by hitting the wood).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 35268

How the heck has all that stuck - I always use a bit of grease. Try a piece of wood and a hammer and tap the sides of the spacers to free them up. Or, assuming it's an alloy steerer, wood on top of steerer, and tap the fork down with a hammer (by hitting the wood).

Don't worry - I will win eventually.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
... @Rooster1 's bike this afternoon...
Screenshot 2024-05-31 122638.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 35268

Success - well kind of.

Managed to get two of the three spacers out - but I managed to break the star nut / sunflower.

I will have to replace it.

I am assuming I may need a tool to replace this ?

1717398595045.png

figbat

Slippery scientist
The star nut tool will get it straight first time. You can just whack it in carefully, with the risk that it might become canted. The old one can be hammered further down the steerer to get it out of the way, or if you are really worried about weight you can punch it all of the way out of the bottom. Best to do all of this hammering with the bottom of the steerer on a solid surface, rather than have all your effort get absorbed by the fork legs.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 35268

I had to cut the spacer off as it had fused itself to the stem !!!!
(Replacement spacers purchased)

Supposedly, I can now take the forks off to replace the bearings that have a little play

Continuing on with this theme, the forks will not "drop out" and even with some not so gentle persuasion (a rubber mallet / hammer on black of wood) the forks will not come off!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

mangled.jpg

Top Bottom