Would you replace this tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Its the original NSF tyre on a 22 reg.
Covered 13k miles, tread is 3.5mm.
Holds pressure, performs normally.
The cracking goes around the whole circumference.
IMG_20240722_122757.jpg

IMG_20240722_122743.jpg

IMG_20240722_122852.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Yes , once you seen the damage would you be happy doing 70mph down a motorway on it ?
Almost looks like a manufacturing defect to go like that in that time scale/ mileage I presume the opposite tyre is ok

Slick

Guru
I've had to replace a number of tyres like this, and the fitters always blame the fact the car sits for months at a time unused.

I was never convinced myself.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Is it a soft compound / sporty tyre ? If so it could be (Hard to tell from looking and what i saw with mine) a 'cold tear' from where the tyre is used in cold temps and the rubber has effectively and literally mildly sheared. I had the same happen on a Porsche Cayman recently with Michelin PS4's on.

And i believe if you Google it - theres pages and pages relating to BMW owners (Presumably they are standard tyres on some of their Sportier offerings) suffering the same fate.....

**PS: I was told safe to use and carry on. I ignored and bought four new tyres that were (And haven't) done the same after some research.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Is it a soft compound / sporty tyre ? If so it could be (Hard to tell from looking and what i saw with mine) a 'cold tear' from where the tyre is used in cold temps and the rubber has effectively and literally mildly sheared. I had the same happen on a Porsche Cayman recently with Michelin PS4's on

It's an Eco Contact 6, so not sporty/soft.
Here is a closer picture:

IMG_20240722_140236.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Would I replace the tyre in the OP?
On my car, no. But I would keep an eye on it.
On my motorbike, most definitely yes. (Unlikely scenario though due to the more rounded construction profile).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No, but I'd keep two or three spares in the boot.
Motorists North of the border and in Yorkshire definitely not.

Drago

Legendary Member
If its not been driven any distance under or over inflated and not banged about then it's probably fine, despite appearances.

On the other hand, a tyre ceases to tread water at 3MM and is effectively scrap at that point anyway, and you're nearly there. Chuck in the thought that if you were faced with the choice of death or spending a hundred quid you'd choose the hundred quid every time...

I'd change it.

Top Bottom