Windows 8 and photos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have recently had to replace my laptop, and the new one has Windows 8.

The files and documents from the external hard drive have been uploaded, but I am having great difficulty with viewing photos and pictures.

I get a message saying "All your photo sources are hidden. To show some, change your settings."

When I go into the "help" section of Settings, I am given details of setting up a Microsoft Account and putting the photos in a cloud. I do not want my photos in a cloud, I would like them in my computer. On XP I was using Windows Live Photo Gallery to tag the photos. All the tags seem to have disappeared, the photos just have numbers now. Is there an equivalent of Windows Live Photo Gallery, or Photo viewer on Version 8?

Would any very helpful forummers like to explain to me what to do, so that I can view all my photos again?

Thank you

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Windows 8.

Well, theres your problem...

Sorry, I don't know, but couldn't resist.

stephec

Squire
Have you tried right clicking on the files and see what options it gives you to open them with, or can you not even see the files?

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Buy an iMac
Filthy man! go to the corner immediately. :tongue:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Have you tried right clicking on the files and see what options it gives you to open them with, or can you not even see the files?

I have changed the way the documents are shown, so that they are medium icons instead of a list of documents. This at least shows which are pictures. :scratch: Fortunately the pictures were backed up on an external hard drive, as they do not all appear on the new computer. It is the retrieval of photos that I am most concerned about.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
When I started work umpty eleven years ago, I was using a manual typewriter. Then electric ones arrived, followed by electronic typewriters. Computers arrived that were the size of small rooms.

Then came word processors. There were also small computers, remember those? They had drop down menus. Then came windows, and further changes. All these changes, I managed to adapt to while working.

I was using XP until recently but now Windows 8 has me flummoxed*.

* Other more up-to-date descriptive words may be available.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I will be printing out the Howtogeek pages from @Peteaud's link. If I can follow them and implement them, I might purchase the book. The infuriating thing for me, is that I need to get the cursor into certain corner/positions to show the various options. I have clicked the "yes, show the admin". I am going to try to get the Settings etc, to show permanently.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
How do I do that?
basically you're wiping it and re-imaging it, if you take it to whomever you bought it from they may give you the option, i remember pc world were doing this for a while because people just can't get on with 8, as i say its brill for tab pc's but useless for any others.
failing that have a word with a pc savvy friend and they should be able to build it into 7 for you.
people think its rather daunting to re-install a pc's operating system but it really isn't rocket science, windows will generally install drivers for most if not all built in systems and the manufacturers website should carry all the extra drivers you may require.
pete

Top Bottom