Whyte Stirling R7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

user123456789

I've been out of the cycling world for over a decade and now looking to get back into it for general fitness/exercise.

I've still got an old marin palisade mountain bike from the early 00s, which is fine for short distances, but looking to get something more modern to encourage me to go out more and at faster speeds.

I envisage a hybrid being best as there are some old railway lines and gravel paths relatively nearby, but mostly road.

I have a budget of £400 and keen to go down the used route. Am i going to get anything better than few year old whyte stirling r7 which i have my eye on? I notice they don't seem to make hybrids on their website anymore, so a bit curious about that.

Main questions are:

1) Will the r7 stirling be a good option for me?
2) Will it be noticeably faster/easier to move than my mountain bike? i don't want a gravel bike as like the idea of a relaxed riding position.
3) Are there better alternatives for under £400 used? specialized sirrus x3 or similar - again in the used marketplace - or is a stirling r7 a better bike?
4) How much abuse can a rigid carbon fork take on a hybrid? Is it ok for things like potholes/bumping up and down kerbs if i approach slowly?

TIA

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Welcome @user123456789
Personally if the Marin Palisidez you mention is one of the original Tange tubed without any suspension then I would stick some road tyres on it and use that .

Whyte bikes have a good image and look nice but save your money and use the ol' Marin.

OP
OP
U

user123456789

Welcome @user123456789
Personally if the Marin Palisidez you mention is one of the original Tange tubed without any suspension then I would stick some road tyres on it and use that .

Whyte bikes have a good image and look nice but save your money and use the ol' Marin.

Thanks!

Mine has suspension - some googling suggests it is from around 2007.

Does that change your opinion at all in terms of whether a fast hybrid like the stirling would be worth the money or should i get back into it a bit more with my mtb before taking the plunge?

vickster

Legendary Member
Stirling a fab bike and great at £400 if in good nick and needs no repairs.
Check what tyres it’ll take as it may not have enough clearance for a gravel type tyre.
It is a sporty bike though made for speed so it may not be the most comfortable hybrid there is.
Carbon fork fine but not sure why you really need to bump up and down non dropped kerbs?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to CC

Yes
Yes
Yes, Stirling better.
A lot

Just make sure you check it out thoroughly if it's had a fair bit of use. Wheels true? Loose spokes? Tyres worn? BB no play? Headset the same? (Hold front brake on push and pull bars to and fro for play) . Gears change cleanly with no slipping? General condition.
None of the above are deal breakers but use as a bargaining chip to negotiate a better price.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

user123456789

Check what tyres it’ll take as it may not have enough clearance for a gravel type tyre.
It is a sporty bike though made for speed so it may not be the most comfortable hybrid there is.
Carbon fork fine but not sure why you really need to bump up and down non dropped kerbs?

It can take up to 40 i think - maybe more. That will be ok won't it?

OP
OP
U

user123456789

Hello and :welcome: to CC

Yes
Yes
Yes, Stirling better.
A lot

Just make sure you check it out thoroughly if it's had a fair bit of use. Wheels true? Loose spokes? Tyres worn? BB no play? Headset the same? (Hold front brake on push and pull bars to and fro for play) . Gears change cleanly with no slipping? General condition.
None of the above are deal breakers but use as a bargaining chip to negotiate a better price.
Good luck.
Hello!

Yes it has not been used much and is only a few years old. No repairs needed and all works as new. Would you say go for it or will there not be enough of a difference from my marin?

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Thanks!

Mine has suspension - some googling suggests it is from around 2007.

Does that change your opinion at all in terms of whether a fast hybrid like the stirling would be worth the money or should i get back into it a bit more with my mtb before taking the plunge?

In that case I would say front suspension is going to be slowing you down and that you will be carrying extra weight around.

No reason why you couldn't get on with using the Marin . But Whyte is going to be a much more capable machine.

OP
OP
U

user123456789

In that case I would say front suspension is going to be slowing you down and that you will be carrying extra weight around.

No reason why you couldn't get on with using the Marin . But Whyte is going to be a much more capable machine.

Yeah this is exactly my dilemma. On the one hand i have a perfectly fine bike, but on the other hand I wonder if a faster, lighter bike would encourage me to go out more and for longer.

OP
OP
U

user123456789

Sorry, forgot to add - with regards to non dropped kerbs - some of the areas around me don't have them, so i'm used to just taking my weight off the front wheel and rolling up them in my mtb, will the stirling be ok to do to the same or will that cause damage?

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry, forgot to add - with regards to non dropped kerbs - some of the areas around me don't have them, so i'm used to just taking my weight off the front wheel and rolling up them in my mtb, will the stirling be ok to do to the same or will that cause damage?

You need your weight off the back wheel surely?
it might cause damage depending on your weight and the number of spokes

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeah this is exactly my dilemma. On the one hand i have a perfectly fine bike, but on the other hand I wonder if a faster, lighter bike would encourage me to go out more and for longer.
The Stirling will definitely feel faster and more responsive on the road compared a rather sluggish heavy mtb with a large metal fork . Will it make you want to go out more? Only you can answer that.

OP
OP
U

user123456789

You need your weight off the back wheel surely?
it might cause damage depending on your weight and the number of spokes

Well, pull up front wheel then weight off back wheel when going up a kerb, and stand up on pedals when going down a kerb. Will carbon forks be ok for both instances?

Top Bottom