Which bike for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heddle the Pedal

Über Member
Hi folks, need your advice re new commuting bike. I bought Triban 520 some years ago. It's been great - lots of commuting (19mls round trip most days), and got me (just) from Land's End to John O'Groats. I'd like to upgrade to lighter hybrid, mainly for commuting with option of few days away. So will need a rack + mudguards. I'm baffled by the psecs of most bikes but understand that Shimano is good call for gears and brakes. I've never had disc brakes but used them on hire bikes and they are great. But maintenance seems costly. I don't need the 27 gears I now have but a wide range for steep hills is essential. Budget is c£750-800 or less. Any thoughts on what to go for? Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Look for one with a double chainset rather than a single.
The Trek FX range is always good but the better models come with a single.
Maybe something like this
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...ar-3-hybrid-bike-2023-in-charcoal-plum__48939

It may not actually be any lighter than your Triban as discs weight more, what does that weigh? But the braking will be better so might be worth a kilo penalty! You can get lightweight racks to help on that score. Also look for a lighter carbon fork.

Have you checked out Decathlon’s latest range?

Hi folks, need your advice re new commuting bike. I bought Triban 520 some years ago. It's been great - lots of commuting (19mls round trip most days), and got me (just) from Land's End to John O'Groats. I'd like to upgrade to lighter hybrid, mainly for commuting with option of few days away. So will need a rack + mudguards. I'm baffled by the psecs of most bikes but understand that Shimano is good call for gears and brakes. I've never had disc brakes but used them on hire bikes and they are great. But maintenance seems costly. I don't need the 27 gears I now have but a wide range for steep hills is essential. Budget is c£750-800 or less. Any thoughts on what to go for? Thanks.

I've cycled similar distances on a bike with V-Brakes and never had a problem; I find them acceptable if set correctly.

It sounds like a touring type bike would be a good choice for both of the uses you have for it. Can I suggest a local bike recycling charity? We often get older touring bikes with 'obsolete' but very good components which would happily carry you to work and back, LEJOG and beyond. They generally have 3 x 7 gears (3 at the front, seven at the back), 3 x 8 , or 3 x 9. This gives a good range of gears, and these "obsolete" parts are often easier to maintain with a smaller toolset, and cost less to replace.

The added advantage is that the bike can be a 'sleeper' bike because it isn't new and therefore less attractive to thieves, but it still rides very well.

Sixmile

Guru
I can't recommend the Whyte Portobello enough. I had been through a few bikes before I realised what I wanted for commuting which was disc brakes, flat bar, comfy riding position, comfort, toughness, full length guards and options for bags, groceries etc. The Whyte portobello ticked all the boxes and 5000 miles later, I'm still happy with my choice. I do think though that Whyte have simplified their range and only do the RHeO as a manual hybrid now but I'm sure the older models are in stock somewhere.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most bikes will be fine for commuting, so long as they can mount guards and a rack. This would be my number one requirement. I've commuted on road bikes, and a hybridised old MTB (slicker tyres).

I currently commute on my old MTB as it's not needed for anything else, so it's just the bike for getting to work.

Discs are fine, and potentially less expensive than rim brakes for commuting - I've worn out a rear rim on my commuting bike in 12 months (mixed surfaces so lots of grit on the back rim), but I can build wheels, so replacement rim was £40.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't recommend the Whyte Portobello enough. I had been through a few bikes before I realised what I wanted for commuting which was disc brakes, flat bar, comfy riding position, comfort, toughness, full length guards and options for bags, groceries etc. The Whyte portobello ticked all the boxes and 5000 miles later, I'm still happy with my choice. I do think though that Whyte have simplified their range and only do the RHeO as a manual hybrid now but I'm sure the older models are in stock somewhere.

Single chainring though?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've cycled similar distances on a bike with V-Brakes and never had a problem; I find them acceptable if set correctly.

It sounds like a touring type bike would be a good choice for both of the uses you have for it. Can I suggest a local bike recycling charity? We often get older touring bikes with 'obsolete' but very good components which would happily carry you to work and back, LEJOG and beyond. They generally have 3 x 7 gears (3 at the front, seven at the back), 3 x 8 , or 3 x 9. This gives a good range of gears, and these "obsolete" parts are often easier to maintain with a smaller toolset, and cost less to replace.

The added advantage is that the bike can be a 'sleeper' bike because it isn't new and therefore less attractive to thieves, but it still rides very well.

I agree with this. I have a touring bike and use it for commuting and utility, its very unattractive/old fashioned and has been totally left alone outside supermarkets etc. One of which is situated in one of the most deprived council estates in Europe. Nice mountain bikes etc have been stolen from there. Even when my garage was burgled, this bike was thrown to the side and left alone.
If you get a very nice hybrid I wouldn't be leaving it outside personally.

Sixmile

Guru
Single chainring though?

Yes and that's a good thing.

Sixmile

Guru
Maybe not the OP though who says no need for a triple but wants a wide range of gears. Only they can say if 10/11 enough

I commute, tour, pull trailers, overnighters and climbed over 8000ft in one ride on this. The only time you'll need another gear is going downhill over 30mph but how oftens that. Just freewheel and enjoy the views.

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
I don't think you can go far wrong with an old-skool touring bike. You can pick up some real quality bikes for a couple of hundred quid. Anything like a Dawes Galaxy, a Claud Butler Dalesman or even a Mercian King of Mercia will be a much better bike than a modern £800 machine. Granted, it won't have disc brakes, but it's not like any bike did a few years ago and it didn't stop people riding. Your other option is an early 1990s fully rigid MTB, something like a Kona Lavadome. They're really versatile bikes and will often have fittings for a rear rack, but tend to come with a hipster tax added onto the price.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your other option is an early 1990s fully rigid MTB, something like a Kona Lavadome. They're really versatile bikes and will often have fittings for a rear rack, but tend to come with a hipster tax added onto the price.

That's what I use, a 90's rigid MTB. Very capable, and could easily do a world tour as it's got all the mounting points, and even on the forks.

I think the 'what bike' questions are the toughest to answer when someone is asking after a bike for commuting.
You can commute on pretty much anything. It would be useful to know, whether you have secure bike parking at both ends of the commute?

Also, do you have any pictures of your current bike? Do you know what year it is? Do you have any other criticisms of this bike? What I'm getting at is, that it might be a more cost-effective/better option to upgrade the bike you have, rather than buy a new one. But that depends. If your aim is to have a lighter bike, and it's got a reasonable frame, it might be that it makes more sense to get a better (lighter) set of wheels and swap out a few other components to save a bit of weight.

What aspects of maintenance are proving costly? Do you do any yourself, or do you entrust it to local bike shop to do it?

As for disc brakes - I've only recent acquired bikes with them. Performance wise, they are great but I can't comment on longevity/maintenance. Definitely something I'd be looking for in any potential new bike, but I don't think I'd buy a new bike just to get disc brakes.

Is a drop bar bike out of the question? Maybe a gravel bike with some road tyres would be a good option.

Top Bottom