Where are the best drivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I've ridden in many places and there are definitely some with above average, courteous drivers. My favorite state to ride in is Utah followed by Vermont. My least favorite is western Texas and Florida. Have you ridden somewhere that has a lot of kind, thoughtful drivers? Give them a shout-out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mainland Southern Spain has some of the most courteous drivers I have ever shared the road with. Better then France and Netherlands based on my experience.

Jody

Stubborn git
Similar to what I saw in Majorca last week. Very courteus drivers and the island seemed pretty geared up towards cyclists

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been doing a lot of cycling along very narrow Devon lanes. The vast majority of local drivers use the passing places properly and are polite and cooperative. The odd driver though refuses to reverse even if they are just beyond a passing place. I suspect that they are tourists who just don't grasp how things work there!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Considering the number of drivers you come across, Londoners are pretty good.

I find places where more folk have affinity to (know) cyclists exists seem to be better. Hopefully its changed in the 12 years I've been down south but I found in Scotland there was no affinity (cyclists were largely treated as an outgroup), and drivers were bad (I found Glasgow particularly hostile). In Pottyboro there is some affinity but not as much as a little further south in Hertfordshire, and Europe seems to be better still. On all my trips to Belgium I can only recall 1 bad pass on a mate and I cant recall any in Spain (mainland and isles), France, Germany or Italy.

Slick

Guru
I find places where more folk have affinity to (know) cyclists exists seem to be better. Hopefully its changed in the 12 years I've been down south but I found in Scotland there was no affinity (cyclists were largely treated as an outgroup), and drivers were bad (I found Glasgow particularly hostile). In Pottyboro there is some affinity but not as much as a little further south in Hertfordshire, and Europe seems to be better still. On all my trips to Belgium I can only recall 1 bad pass on a mate and I cant recall any in Spain (mainland and isles), France, Germany or Italy.

Got to say, I agree with your assessment of Scotland in general and Glasgow in particular. I think it may have changed a bit since the HC update, but its an improving picture from a pretty low base.

Slick

Guru
As for the nicest drivers, I think you need to go to the inner Hebrides for that. Islay have the most courteous drivers on the planet and Tiree have the nicest people. Now I think about it, I met the nicest guy on Colinsay once when we were working on Oransay. He was an in comer though so probably doesn't count. Stick a pin in a map on any of our islands and you'll hit someone who is the salt of the earth, willing to help with whatever predicament you find yourself in.

blackrat

"Where are the best drivers?"

On the golf course. At least they shout 'fore' if they have a ball heading for you, unlike most car operators who just assume you will jump out of the way when they steam towards you as they yak on their phones.

Top Bottom