Vintage spoke replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
Hi folks,

I hope I have the right section here (I did consider the vintage bike forum).

I have a set of wheels (Birmalux rims, Sunshine hubs) which need sorting out.
A couple of years ago I had a broken spoke replaced (Madgetts in Diss - excellent shop/service, no complaints). I did chat with the chap and he explained that given the age of the wheels, it could be a case of the old spokes being past their best. It seems that the advice was correct - two more of the old ones have broken, both at the bend in the spoke near to the hub.

Given that I have a bit of time on my hands at present (semi retirement and current situation :sad:), I am considering replacing all the spokes in the wheels. I think it could be quite a good experience, and therapeutic for me to have a go at replacing the wheels.
Are there any recommendations for brand/type of spoke to use? I have had a bit of a look on the internet - lots of information, but I was wondering if there are particular spoke types more suitable for vintage wheels. Length of spoke is just under 300mm, given the look of the old ones I don't believe that they are stainless. Spoke tension meter vital?

Where is length measured to ? the start of the J bend or the total length?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Spokes are measured from the inside edge of the bend to the other end of the spoke.
I would replace like for like butted or plain gauge (whatever you have fitted) but in stainless.
A tension meter is not vital IMO but a good fitting spoke key is.
YouTube is a good source of information and guides.
HTH

Top Bottom