Via Francigena - Looking for Touring Partner + Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I'm planning on going from Canterbury to Rome, starting in early-mid August. This will be my first long-distance tour and tour outside of the UK. My plan is to cover the route in twenty cycling stages with a couple days in Rome at the end followed by a return train via Zurich (see below). It would be great to have some company and mutual encouragement for any of the route.

I wonder how challenging the heat will be. I might push my start date back a bit into late August/September, although I unfortunately can't go beyond mid-September owing to work commitments. I had thought about a tent, but am now thinking of bivvying due to the seeming frequency of pilgrim accommodation and the season. I am having all the inevitable gear weight musings and wild camping conundrums.

I would be really interested to hear about camping along the route and any of these stages from anyone who has done it. Is there anything else I might not have thought of in relation to this route?

Very exited!

DayLegDepartArriveDistance (km)Distance (miles)
1Canterbury - Dover - Calais - WissantCanterburyWissant3723
2Wissant - Arras WissantArras12376.4
3Arras - St Quintin - LaonArrasLaon12477
4Laon - Reims - Châlons-en-ChampagneLaonChâlons-en-Champagne11269.6
5Châlons-en-Champagne - Dienville - Bar-sur-AubeChâlonBar-sur-Aube10162.7
6 Bar-sur-Aube - LangresBar-sur-AubeLangres9055.9
7Langres - BesançonLangresBesançon12175
8Besançon - Pontalier - LausanneBesançonLausanne12678
9Lausanne - MartignyLausanneMartigny7245
10Martigny - Col du Grand-Saint-Bernard MartignyCol du Gran SB4125.5
11Col du Grand-Saint-Bernard - Aosta - Ivrea Col du Gran Saint-BernardIvrea10263
12Ivrea - Vercelli - Gropello CairolliIvreaGropello Cairolli11370
13Gropello Cairolli - FidenzaGropello CairolliFidenza13081
14Fidenza - PontremoliFidenzaPontremoli9961.5
15Pontremoli - LuccaPontremoliLucca11169
16Lucca - St Gimignano - Monteriggioni LuccaMontegriggioni10364
17Montegriggioni - Siena - St.Quirico D'orcia - RadicofaniMontegriggioniRadicofani9961.5
18Radicofani - Acquapendente - Bolsena - Montefiascone - ViterboRadicofaniViterbo7747.8
19Viterbo - RomeViterboRome8452
20RomeRomeRome00

bluenotebob

Veteran
Sounds wonderful - have a great trip!

I can't help you with the route - but perhaps @Cathryn can give you some advice on the Italian leg.

I also think that @roubaixtuesday was in St Gimignano a few weeks ago. Perhaps he can help too.

The weather in Italy often 'breaks' around 15/20 August - prior to that it can be very hot (35C) and afterwards cooler but possibly very wet. I think you'd need a back-up plan if you intend bivvying.

Good luck and bonne route

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Sounds brilliant. I've no camping advice I'm afraid, we're wimps and are staying in B&B/hotels.

We were early season and benefited from most accommodation being entirely empty. I would anticipate August being *much* busier, and would suggest looking for smaller, less well known places to visit and stay in (all small towns in Italy seem to be absolutely lovely, so you're not missing out!). Eg I wouldn't recommend just dropping into Siena on route; it's absolutely spectacular but will be totally rammed and it's about a mile of cobbled streets to reach the campo.

Re. heat, we stayed by all of the lakes north of Rome. I see you have Bolseno on route, would recommend, and the others too. Jumping in a lake definitely helps to cool down.

Finally, be prepared for terrible road surfaces. Viterbo to Rome, particularly; we didn't go into Rome but skirting to the east found many roads almost uncyclable due to potholes and subsidence.

Jameshow

Veteran
Definitely on my to-do list!

I recently red a book from Ringwood to Rome which inspired me!

Not the right time for me sadly but definitely want do it.

Enjoy!!

Emanresu

Have done most of this and the southern bit - Rome/Brindisi. Some of your sections may need adjusting. For example, Pontarlier to Lausanne is tough. Martigny to GSB Pass is about 6,000 ft climb. (I'm walking it in a week or so, as I had to skip this section as it was closed due to snow).

Fidenza - Pontremoli also might need adjusting as you are going over the Cisa Pass. If you add in another column to show the elevation gain, it might help clarify some decisions.

Have you any rest days pencilled in or are you up against a timescale?

PS They've also added another 80+ miles to it - Via Francigena Britannica - a London to Canterbury section.

PPS Trying to do Montegriggioni - Siena - St.Quirico D'orcia - Radicofani in one day is a crime. Both Siena and St.Quirico deserve some time. And the climb to Radicofani at the end of a day will test you.

Attachments

• IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Top Bottom