Very similar broadband deals from the same supplier with one seemingly significant difference...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
... which is higher speed. So why do they offer almost identical deals whereby one of the deals appears to be far better through offering higher speed? Is there a catch, or something else I should know about?

markemark

Über Member
Is one business broadband or has a longer commitment?
Can you provide a link to both?

markemark

Über Member
It's a mess and the links all seem to be for vouchers. I don't think it is a scam but they may link to old offerings.

AndyRM

XOXO
Of the providers I have used over the years for broadband, Vodafone have been far and away the worst so I'd swerve them.

My broadband would cut out completely when it rained. Thought it was a coincidence at first, but I called them after the third time and was told it was a "known issue" which they were "working to resolve". Which I know is placating talk for "We don't have a clue, sorry."

si_c

Guru
If not gaming then it almost doesn't matter which provider you go for.

In terms of speed, anything over 50mb is likely to be fine for you, unless you are streaming 4k video to more than 1 device, allow roughly 30Mb per device for that plus some for whatever else you use.

After that make your choice based on whatever criteria you like - aside from Virgin the fundamental infrastructure is all the same for the remaining providers - they essentially rent the last mile of cable from Openreach - so price / customer service rating / brand loyalty are all perfectly reasonable choices.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Of the providers I have used over the years for broadband, Vodafone have been far and away the worst so I'd swerve them.

My broadband would cut out completely when it rained. Thought it was a coincidence at first, but I called them after the third time and was told it was a "known issue" which they were "working to resolve". Which I know is placating talk for "We don't have a clue, sorry."

Ours did that, turned out to be a break in the underground cable from the 'cab' to the pole, only snag being it was about 8 feet from the 'cab' so when the distance estimate meter was connected it seemed fine. It was only when tested from the other end that the break showed up, soon fixed by changing to another cable in the multiplex. However about 3 months later a youth in a car skidded on the road opposite the cabinet and took the whole thing off it's base so they had to pull a whole new multiplex through (well lots actually, one to each pole)

Interestingly did you know that wire has a different resistance depending on where it is in the country. Maz worked for BT in the 'Network Records' office and when they moved everything there was scrapped as the new place had all new equipment, one of the things I aquired was a map showing the different resistance in each county of Britain. OK it is only small but it makes a difference over miles of cabling.

They are all rubbish deals.

Youfibre uses it own network. I pay £29.99pcm and I get 940mbs upload and download speed. They use Eero routers which set up as mesh routers if you have Amazon products. No price rises while in contract.
They also offer slower speeds for slightly cheaper but the same upload and download.

I stick with BT. They might not be the cheapest but because I WFH, and I need to manage someone else's account (they are on BT) too it's easier if we're on the same.

That said we're currently moving to an EE deal (who are joint with BT now), so these could be famous last words!

Top Bottom