using turbo trainer every day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gasinayr

Über Member
due to the weather I have been using trainer most days. Question is, when you start feeling a bit fitter do you increase the time per session or increase the tension of the turbo, or both. I currently due 10 mins have a drink another 10 mins have another drink then final 10 mins ( total 30 mins per session) turbo is set at middle setting.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When using a turbo i have the setting based on the recommended difficulty to make it real feel if i can then do longer sessions without stops as unless your doing really hard interval sessions i dont think a 10 min session will really benefit you ?
I tend to use a basic turbo with wheel and cadence sensor linked to my laptop running zwift that offers a variety of routes and workout options to keep it interesting .
If zwift is a cost to far then i also used to use structured training videos on youtube .

CXRAndy

Guru
due to the weather I have been using trainer most days. Question is, when you start feeling a bit fitter do you increase the time per session or increase the tension of the turbo, or both. I currently due 10 mins have a drink another 10 mins have another drink then final 10 mins ( total 30 mins per session) turbo is set at middle setting.

In the early stages, just increase time, try and keep your efforts easy (Z1/Z2). After a few months of building an aerobic base, add in some 'High intensity' sessions

I presume you have a non smart trainer (doesn't alter resistance automatically).

I suggest you look at a online riding app like Zwift, Rouvy, etc. these will significantly enhance indoor turbo riding

Good luck

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
I might add, I am 71 years old and beyond going for medals. My trainer is Elite Voltage basic with 5 resistance settings, good enough for me, dont need anything that links to computer. thanks for replys.

CXRAndy

Guru
I might add, I am 71 years old and beyond going for medals. My trainer is Elite Voltage basic with 5 resistance settings, good enough for me, dont need anything that links to computer. thanks for replys.

Age is no matter, if you're healthy have enthusiasm for cycling, no reason you can't improve or maintain very strong cycling fitness

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Age is no matter, if you're healthy have enthusiasm for cycling, no reason you can't improve or maintain very strong cycling fitness

I think you are missing the point, I am enthusiastic about cycling and want to stay healthy, that is why I pedal every day. At my age you have to realise you can't do what you did 20 / 30 years ago, I was only asking advise not training for some big race.

CXRAndy

Guru
Honestly, I wasn't suggesting you race, I was offering an idea through experience about enjoying indoor riding more.

There is far more to indoor riding than just racing, group rides, training plans, solo rides

Using a video or avatar based cycling platforms you get a far more immersive experience, which often leads to more enthusiasm to use them.

You can use them to stave off boredom form non interactive indoor setups

However if you're perfectly happy with a basic trainer 👍

Last edited:

BSRU

A Human Being
Just keep increasing the time you can manage.
Try to maintain a good pedalling cadence, greater than 80rpm, personally I aim for between 90 and 100.
Having a heart rate monitor would be nice so then you can work out what your zone 2 is and ride in that zone.
For longer efforts you may need a distraction, maybe watch or listen to something.

Venod

Eh up

I am 72, still enjoying cycling indoor and outdoor, your doing well with a basic turbo, I used to avoid them as much as possible, but nowadays with a smart turbo and Zwift , Rouvy etc turbo use is a pleasure (sometimes) this leads to longer use and improved fitness, there are lots of group rides on Zwift that are not races for all abilities, these help improve your fitness and add a bit of interest, you never know you might end up entering a race, I did one this morning, I came fourth, there was three more over 70s in the race and it gives you a good feeling beating some younger riders.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Having a smart turbo has revolutionised the way I ride and train, since it allows me to accurately assess the impact of my training and to measure my improvements. They're so cheap nowadays, too.
The little person moving around on the screen isn't so important for me when I'm training as the ability to regulate my power in a measurable way. When I'm doing an erg-mode workout, I'll often be watching TV or a film.

I have to be very careful on my indoor trainer ....I'd love to do more indoor - but if I do too many back to back or longer than about 45 mins it really impacts my joints ...

(It's not set up issues)

So my advice is to keep doing what you're doing and build up very slowly.....personally I would increase the duration rather than the intensity...

Top Bottom