Unknown Falcon frame. Does anyone know what model this is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KimComp

I'm wondering if anyone here can help in identifying this Falcon frame?
I purchased it a couple of years ago for £80 just because I liked the look of it but I can't seem to id it.
All my searches point to late 70's but I cannot find this exact frame in any forum pictures or catalogue.
It looks like it takes a 26.4 seat post.
Although the frame looks well made and good quality it's doesn't seem particularly light.
The interesting thing (for me!) is the strengthening plate on the inside of the front forks.
I also noticed that a few weeks after I bought this, the seller was advertising another one of these, same colour, same size???
Does anyone here know what this frame is?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Falcon80pounds2.jpg
    Falcon80pounds2.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Falcon80pounds3.jpg
    Falcon80pounds3.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Falcon80pounds4.jpg
    Falcon80pounds4.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Falcon80pounds8.jpg
    Falcon80pounds8.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Falcon80pounds9.jpg
    Falcon80pounds9.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Falcon80pounds10.jpg
    Falcon80pounds10.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Nice colour
@Mandobob or @midlife will hopefully be along soon

Mandobob

Über Member
I have just seem this frame and I will give it some serious consideration but it is a challenge as it has a number of features that are unusual on the same frame. My first impression is that it almost certainly has been repainted since it was made. Falcon made a lot of orange frames from November 1973 but they were all part of the so-called Eddy Merckx range and were clearly decalled as such without the Falcon name. Because they had this range they didn't offer orange as a colour on the main Falcon range for obvious reasons.

The seatpin size suggests a Reynolds 531 plain gauge frame, but there is no Reynolds decal. If the paintwork were original it would have the 531 decal and if it has been repainted and the original was 531, why wouldn't you put the 531 decal on it? It could have been obtained from the same source as the Falcon name decals.

It has a head badge which implies 1978 - 1982. However it doesn't have the braze-ons on the top tube for the rear brake cable which were fitted from late 1980. It does have the reinforced rear brake bridge which fits that time period. It also has a brazed cable stop for the rear derailleur on the stay and gear cable channels on the top of the bottom bracket.

The rear derailleur hanger also implies a better quality frame. Is it (and the front dropouts) Campagnolo?

The heart shaped cutouts are attractive and indicative of a better quality frame.

Does it have a frame number under the bottom bracket? If so, what is it? If you can tell me that I may be able to whittle down the possibilities.

Top Bottom