Tyres and Innertubes for Dutch bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CWM_93

I have a Batavus Sprint Tour which was bought in the Netherlands years ago by my Dad. I'm trying to get it back up and running as a local runabout bike. The issue is that I can't get tyres to stay on the rims.

The rims are Van Schothorst (Made in Holland), size: 28 x 1 5/8, diameter: 622.

I have tried several different tyres and can't make them fit:

• Schwalbe Marathon Plus 28-622
  • Schwalbe Marathon 32-622
  • Schwalbe Road Cruiser 28/32-630 (apparently 630 is a traditional Dutch wheel size)
Inner tubes:

• Raleigh 700x25-32C
  • Schwalbe 700x25C
  • Schwalbe 29/28/27.5" 40/62 - 584/635
I'm tearing my hair out - does anyone have any advice?

Chris S

Legendary Member
You have 622mm rims so you will need 622mm tyres. The 28-622 and 32-622 tyres you have tried are 28 and 32mm wide. It sounds like that they are too narrow. Is there a width in mm stamped on the rims or old tyres? This will be the one you need.

You can use 28-622 or 32-622 tubes in slightly wider 622 tyres though.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
C

CWM_93

Thanks for your reply!

The stamp on the rims reads: Van Schothorst Made in Holland 28 x 1 5/8 ∅622.

The tyres that were previously on the bike are the 32-622 Schwalbe Marathons, but they are refusing to stay on the bike after I had a puncture and had to replace the inner tube.

Is there a technique that I'm getting wrong? My other bikes are modern road/gravel bikes, which have much different rim profiles.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
1 5/8" is usually translated to 42mm width, I think. That is probably the intended tyre width as if it ithe rim width, usually the tyre is 9/5ths the width which would be 75mm (almost 3 inch) wide tyres which seems unlikely!

Getting 32mm tyres to stay on rims intended for 42 is often possible but fiddly and more fiddly as the tyre ages.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And the 40/62 - 584/635 tubes would be correct in a 42-622 tyre, as both numbers are between the min/max numbers given.

The Raleigh tube would be best if you manage to get the 32 tyre on again. But I'd get some comfy 42s.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The tyres that were previously on the bike are the 32-622 Schwalbe Marathons, but they are refusing to stay on the bike after I had a puncture and had to replace the inner tube.

The beading could have got damaged when you removed the tyre. Is the inner circumference of the tyre a smooth circle or have bits broken off? If they have then the tyre won't seat properly.

The other alternative is that the tyres never stayed on in the first place! It would explain why the bike wasn't used for some time.

Top Bottom