Tubus Tara rack question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

Banned member
Hi, I'm building a touring bike and recently bought a Tubus Tara front pannier rack for it. Mostly it looks good and strong however the support arms have two spot welds and this looks like a massive weak point?

Attachments

• pro-gQ0MZcYC.jpeg
    pro-gQ0MZcYC.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 41

Drago

Legendary Member
Weak point, or possibly deliberate to allow a tiny degree of lateral movement which would have a continuous weld,mor the material immediately above mit, cracking?

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

Banned member
Weak point, or possibly deliberate to allow a tiny degree of lateral movement which would have a continuous weld,mor the material immediately above mit, cracking?

Not sure, I've looked at many online photos of this rack and most show it fully welded. I think it's poor quality control. Whilst Tubus seems like a respected German brand it says made in China on it

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
That doesn’t look right to me, the welding is incomplete and shouldn’t be like that.
I’d send an image to Tubus and/or the retailer and ask for replacement arms.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not sure, I've looked at many online photos of this rack and most show it fully welded. I think it's poor quality control. Whilst Tubus seems like a respected German brand it says made in China on it

I've looked at some pics and none of them are close in enough to satisfy me either way. I'd contact the manufacturer, see what they say.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Is it genuine or a fake/knock off

It’ll be genuine, unfortunately Tubus racks now look to be made in the far east.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

Banned member
So yesterday I contacted Tubus in Germany and the UK distributer of Tubus. Both via email. Got replies from both this morning.
Both said these are faulty and to not use them. Tubus Germany told me to return rack to retailer. TUBUS UK distributer offered to send out replacements which they have already checked and are correct.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

Banned member
I wonder how many people or bike shops would have just fitted them and got on with it, only for the arms to fail not long into the first tour?

Drago

Legendary Member
Sadly its been many a say since the likes of Tubus or Blackburn were manufactured in the UK. Even so, to be fair, we can only speculate that they would fail prematurely, or even at all.

But bravo to them - it was brought to their attention and they've swiftly moved to resolve it.

silva

Über Member
A move after a complaining customer is a late bravo in the production chain, I'd say.

Hey Joe you had to weld this over the entire length and from both sides.
Oh...
Hey Jim when you coated / painted this piece didn't you see the welding was only some spots?
Oh...
Hey Jesse when you packed this part for transportation didn't you see...
Oh...

The usual story is the one of we want this and we wan't to pay that.
And then, wherever it happens, UK or China, they ofcourse prioritize that above this.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

Banned member
Here's a twist to the story. Got the replacement arms from tubus uk already, in just one day, initially very pleased as welding complete all the way round. However, on fitting realised they have been welded together the wrong way round. Checked against the other pair I have and web photos and definitely wrong. I wonder if these had been returned as faulty at some point and now been sent to me. I'm getting close to returning whole rack to retailer but will see what tubus say first as they responded quickly last time.

Top Bottom