Transfer Of Ownership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With regard to the 'free Corsa'
I'm on the cusp of insuring it
BUT... as it's a while since I/we've been in this position before, so answers required please (can't see anything on the DVLA pages)
What's the legal standing?

1. We haven't filled out the V5 yet, nor my mother wrote out her section, is the insurance valid (as it's technically not owned by us)
2. it's still got a valid VED, till January, but 'in my mothers name', can we run on that, at the moment?

newts

Veteran
You would have to declare that you're not the registered keeper of the vehicle when you take out the insurance.
Cost of amending policy details mid term will vary depending on insurance company.

You would have to declare that you're not the registered keeper of the vehicle when you take out the insurance.
Cost of amending policy details mid term will vary depending on insurance company.
Then pay to amend it later??
Since driving it home, with mothers insurance in place for it, & my 'May Drive Other Vehicles' clause, it's been on the driveway, behind gates

newts

Veteran
It would be cheaper to leave the onwership change until your insurance renews next year?
Not sure what the current stance is with VED, liability to tax probaly lies with the registered keeper.

midlife

Guru
You don't need to own it to insure it, it's the keeper / owner silliness.

The VED is related to the car, just pay when it comes, around next time.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You can file a change of ownership on dvsa online. Service is available from 7am to 7pm. By doing this you are informing dvla of change of ownership which is what they state must happen, no mention of receiving confirmation. v5c is also not proof of ownership so I assume it is admission of ownership so you can own the car under your own declaration, providing you have proof if requested.e.g. if you're stopped by the police.

That's my understanding anyway, I could be wrong but I'd just fill in the details online and then insure it in my name as I would be the owner and registered keeper

a.twiddler

Veteran
Just bear in mind that once you have notified DVLA of change of keeper, the VED is cancelled, balance (if any) refunded to previous keeper. You must pay VED, or notify SORN on change of keeper. You don't get the benefit of transferring it when you buy a car any more, sadly.

Alex321

Guru
With regard to the 'free Corsa'
I'm on the cusp of insuring it
BUT... as it's a while since I/we've been in this position before, so answers required please (can't see anything on the DVLA pages)
What's the legal standing?

1. We haven't filled out the V5 yet, nor my mother wrote out her section, is the insurance valid (as it's technically not owned by us)
2. it's still got a valid VED, till January, but 'in my mothers name', can we run on that, at the moment?

The V5 has little to do with ownership, it details the Registered Keeper, who may or may not be the owner.

If she transfers title to you (ideally in writing), then from that point you own the vehicle, regardless of V5.

At that point, it does NOT have valid VED - that has not transferred with the vehicle for quite a few years now. And if VOSA find out then you will be in trouble for driving an untaxed vehicle (unless it is off road, when you must declare SORN).

It needs to be insured in the name(s) of those who will be driving it. Ownership is not important for the third party insurance which is the legal requirement. And the registration document even less so.

dicko

Guru
It’s best to follow the DVLA rules when you obtain a vehicle failure to do so is breaking the law and you could be in for an expensive time and points on your license.

Top Bottom