Training indoors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always swore I’d never need an indoor trainer, but I’ve been persuaded otherwise. No prizes for guessing the crucial current issues changing my mind. So I’ve no experience. I don’t need anything special, I’m not a racer, I just need to turn my legs over if I need to lockdown again. Cost is important, but so is feel, I’m not gonna use something that feels weird! Any advice. Reasons would be good with opinions. Thanks in expectation.
 

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why does Corona Virus lockdown mean you have to train indoors? In the UK riding outdoors was/is allowed and was almost positively encouraged.
 

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm guessing the OP might be vulnerable or in contact with someone who is...

Better answers can be given with a known budget
 

numbnuts

Squire
I've got a turbo in the garage, I don't use it for training, more for motivation or put it bluntly to get my arse in to gear.
This year in no exception, I started doing one hour sessions, but as always even with good music boredom set in, so I set up a challenge how many miles can I cover in 30 minutes (yes I know they are not real miles) so far it went like this -
8.39 00:30:00
8.73 00:30:00
9.14 00:30:00
8.23 00:30:00
8.39 00:30:00
9.38 00:30:00
9.51 00:30:00
I would like to get 10 miles for the 30 minutes, now I'm nearly 69 and on beta blockers so I can't get my heart rate above 130 BPM.......but I'm getting there.
The improvements I have found while out on the road has amazed me, I have an e-trike and I have 5 settings normally I use setting 2, but since my training I'm only using setting 1 and of course saving battery power for longer rides, so if it helps an old fart like me it has to be a good thing :smile:
 
OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

Member
Why does Corona Virus lockdown mean you have to train indoors? In the UK riding outdoors was/is allowed and was almost positively encouraged.
It’s because I’m immunity compromised. I’m more likely to be late if I catch it; if I survive I’m likely to lose my donated kidney. I can’t handle dialysis again. (Dialysing- taking the urine, mechanically). It’s a choice, go mad or die!🤪
I've got a turbo in the garage, I don't use it for training, more for motivation or put it bluntly to get my arse in to gear.
This year in no exception, I started doing one hour sessions, but as always even with good music boredom set in, so I set up a challenge how many miles can I cover in 30 minutes (yes I know they are not real miles) so far it went like this -
8.39 00:30:00
8.73 00:30:00
9.14 00:30:00
8.23 00:30:00
8.39 00:30:00
9.38 00:30:00
9.51 00:30:00
I would like to get 10 miles for the 30 minutes, now I'm nearly 69 and on beta blockers so I can't get my heart rate above 130 BPM.......but I'm getting there.
The improvements I have found while out on the road has amazed me, I have an e-trike and I have 5 settings normally I use setting 2, but since my training I'm only using setting 1 and of course saving battery power for longer rides, so if it helps an old fart like me it has to be a good thing :smile:
certainly sounds good, more miles is what I’m after. That and better recovery.
 
OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

Member
Its free to walk up and down stairs (if you have them) all day long. :whistle:
I have a stoop, 5-6 steps outside the front door. My address already has a reputation for strange behaviour.
I'm guessing the OP might be vulnerable or in contact with someone who is...

Better answers can be given with a known budget
nope, I am the vulnerable. I’m thinking about a mag trainer, on sale at Planet X for £50-, less than half price. But I don’t know how it will ride, will I waste my money spending so little. There is a similar fluid turbo trainer , I like,(less bits to fiddle with). It’s also twice the price, if the difference between mag and fluid is a muchness, is it worth the extra. I don’t want to go much beyond £200-
 

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Apologies from me, I hadn't considered the health reason.

When I had a spell of house confinement a couple of years ago after being injured in an RTA I used a set of borrowed rollers to help keep my sanity and maintain some fitness until I was allowed back on the road.

It was moderately enjoyable for the couple of months I used them and I found the balance and concentration required to be more engaging than I imagine a fixed/stationary trainer would be.
 

vickster

Squire
How about one of these second hand? I have one and it works well (this isn’t mine for sale!)
Fair few on eBay
Eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CycleOps...506932?hash=item1f142d6ab4:g:DHsAAOSwstxfJvHy
 

HarryTheDog

Legendary Member
As well as the Turbo trainer itself a method of cooling yourself is important. If you are a big well muscled chap you will be able to generate enough heat to warm a small vilage on a turbo when going for it. Most people use at least one or more fans. I have 2 evaporative coolers, a big fan that passes air across a wet membrane. Also something to go on the floor to soak up the sweat and maybe a cover for the top tube of the bike.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can I possibly recommend a Tacx T2240 Smart Turbo Trainer - can be got for £200 or less. Get yourself a computer/laptop/ipad, an Ant+ USB dongle and give Zwift a try. Got to be better than staring at a wall.

I bought mine when I broke my spine - we'll I actually bought a standard trainer from my Hospital bed, got my sister to collect it, then upon eventually getting out of hospital and getting permission to try and exercise (about 4 months) started on Zwift - found it pretty good, so upgraded to a smart trainer.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My current set up. Laptop at the side is works, I was on a skype just as I got on the bike.

540050


I usually have Netflix on the other screen
 
OP
OP
F

FishNeedsBike

Member
Apologies from me, I hadn't considered the health reason.

When I had a spell of house confinement a couple of years ago after being injured in an RTA I used a set of borrowed rollers to help keep my sanity and maintain some fitness until I was allowed back on the road.

It was moderately enjoyable for the couple of months I used them and I found the balance and concentration required to be more engaging than I imagine a fixed/stationary trainer would be.
No reason to apologise for being interested, I should also add that considering the governments responces, I take little heed of their recommendations!
However your roller option sounds like an affordable and useful consideration, thanks for that. The idea that falling is a plus, I’ve gotten so unfit that overdoing it is a problem; getting giddy, that may be carpet but I don’t want to hit it! Skol!
 

vickster

Squire
My current set up. Laptop at the side is works, I was on a skype just as I got on the bike.

View attachment 540050

I usually have Netflix on the other screen
Getting away from screens is a big reason for me to cycle! I can’t imagine anything worse than playing some sort of video game while cycling! I do watch TV on the rare occasions I use a turbo but would rather not
 

grellboy

Veteran
Can I possibly recommend a Tacx T2240 Smart Turbo Trainer - can be got for £200 or less. Get yourself a computer/laptop/ipad, an Ant+ USB dongle and give Zwift a try. Got to be better than staring at a wall.

I bought mine when I broke my spine - we'll I actually bought a standard trainer from my Hospital bed, got my sister to collect it, then upon eventually getting out of hospital and getting permission to try and exercise (about 4 months) started on Zwift - found it pretty good, so upgraded to a smart trainer.
I second this. Got mine for £100 on Ebay a couple of years ago, although they went mad on recently during lockdown with crazy pricing!! Personally i don't use Zwift or any software, I just either watch cycling on Eurosport or a box set on Netflix. Also, with this particular trainer, if you have a decent Garmin - 530, 530 level - then you get all the metrics displayed too so you can do it without any trainer software.
 
Top Bottom