Touring equipment shopping in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

Hi folks!

I'd like to use the opportunity of a visit to the UK in order to shop up on some equipment (shipping to my country is extremely expensive, and a lot of the equipment is not sold locally).

Specifically, I'd like to buy a Nordisk tent, and a Trangia cooking set. While at it, I might also buy that new handlebar bag by Ortlieb, maybe a new Garmin Edge (if the price is right) and maybe a few additional bits and bobs. I'd prefer to buy in a brick and mortar shop, so as to figure out the exact configuration I need (important in case of Trangia, given the number of options there), but if not possible, I'm ok with buying online and shipping to my hotel. We'll be in London for a few days, and perhaps Birmingham (we plan narrowboating there). I'd appreciate any pointers towards shops that are likely to have all of this stuff.

Last edited:

alicat

Squire
I've never heard of Nordisk tents so I'd start with their UK website, look where there is a stockist near where you plan to be and ring and ask if they have the tent you want in stock and where they can put it aside for you. I'd order the Garmin Edge online. The other things should be easier to source in a bricks and mortar shop though maybe not from the same shop.

Will you be hiring a car? Often these shops are out of town although the excellent Condor Cycles is quite near to public transport in central London.

vickster

Legendary Member
Quite a few Nordisk stockists in central london. Around Covent Garden (Southampton street area) is a Mecca for outdoors shops (more premium brands typically)
https://nordisk.co.uk/pages/dealers
Ditto for Trangia
There’s a Decathlon on Kensington High St as an option for the Garmin and some outdoorsy places too.
Condor for Ortlieb a good shout, nearest tube Farringdon/Barbican/Kings Cross. Fab shop.
Other bike shops like Balfes in Waterloo for example

Jameshow

Veteran
Narrow boating in brum.... You feeling ok?

Come to the Leeds Liverpool canal!

Spa cycles isn't far away either..

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Narrow boating in brum.... You feeling ok?

Come to the Leeds Liverpool canal!

Spa cycles isn't far away either..

Well... We've only done this once - went from Ely to Cambridge and back, so I'm definitely out of my depth on this one. This time I'd like to do a circular route, and given the time onboard, all the routes we have time for are near Birmingham. My wife is not excited about this, but I don't really see an alternative.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When here I'd check what camping / cycle shops are nearby with Google maps and try them. You out might be able to check their stock online.
As above Blacks (High Street shops) are in many locations throughout the UK and sell a lot of camping stuff.

vickster

Legendary Member
Alpkit
Blacks
Cotswold Outdoors
Go Outdoors (need to join for £5)
Millets

Are all options also, Blacks and Millets are different brands of the same company BTW.

So are Go Outdoors now

Top Bottom