Toe clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack991919

I am a long time bike rider, but I recently had brain surgery that changed everything. The surgery didn’t go as expected (yes, they found my brain, but screwed up in the process). The result is that I have balance problems now And very little strength in my legs. I thought that riding might help with both. So I bought an electric bike and it has helped. The problem I’m having is that my right foot has a tendency to ”toe-out” now which causes my heel to hit the frame or chain. So, I bought some simple toe clips to keep my foot straight on the pedals. Unfortunately, I can’t get my foot to slid far enough forward to “engage” the clip. And because of my balance problem I can’t bend down to hold the clip while I slide my foot in. Maybe someone knows of a different type of clip that’s easier to use, or of some workaround that could help. Oh, I’ve tried ankle braces as well without success. Any help is appreciated.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
you can get extenders that increase the distance the pedal is away from the frame.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extenders-...af7bf35bfbf530bfb7454113d03f954c&gad_source=1

classic33

Leg End Member
Two I know off, but not certain if they are still available or viable for you.
The easiest is adjustable length toe clips, adjusted so they're that bit longer may enable your foot to engage.
The second, used with the first was a little retaining clip that sat on the rear of the pedal. Helped stop your foot sliding out as well as helping line your feet up on the pedals. Downside is they were fastened(usually screwed) in place on the shoe.

si_c

Guru
I dislike toe clips and amongst the reasons is the need to lean down and flip the clasp shut, I'd also be cautious about using them if you have balance issues - if you come to a stop will you be able to manage getting your foot out and down quickly enough?

What might be worth trying is some mountain bike pedals and shoes - not the clipless type but rather the type with pins and a large surface area. Something like the below (Crank Brothers Stamp 1 for reference). With MTB shoes (five tens for example) the pins engage into the base of the shoe and give you loads of grip to the pedals.

140021_crank_brothers_stamp_1_v2_flat_pedals.jpg

I'm not sure that this will solve the problem you are having, but it may well mitigate it somewhat - the pins will hold the shoe until you lift them off and as long as you are able to maintain contact between the shoe and pedal then should mitigate any rotation.

Hope you find a solution and best of luck with the recovery!

Top Bottom