Thorn Audax Mk3 – well specced on a new frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Here we have for sale my Thorn Audax Mk3, in very good, clean condition.
Originally purchased in summer 2009, the bike has had many upgrades since then, including a new frame in gun metal grey in February this year. It has covered a shade over 500 miles on the new frame. It’s a size 55. Overall, the bike is in very good condition, although there are three small scratches on the fork leg when it slid down a wall not long after I built it up. I have attempted to show these in the picture. The head badge still has the plastic protector on it!
The bike cost me £1,426 new, but several components have been upgraded since then, and it will be sold with some extras.

The details:
Thorn Audax Mk 3 frame and fork, made from Reynolds 858 double butted steel, in almost new condition – to buy the frame alone would be £425.
Hand built wheels from DCR wheels (cost £335). Front is 32H on a Son Delux dynamo hub, laced with Sapim Race spokes to an Exal L17 rim. The rear is on Shimano XT 36H hub, also with Sapim Race spokes and Exal L17 rim. There are plenty of miles left in both rims and the hubs are running smooth.
B&M Cyo IQ dynamo front light (cost £75)
Full SKS chromoplastic mudguards
Marathon Plus tyres
Zefal HPX frame fit pump
Very good condition Brooks B17 saddle
Carradice saddle bag (Barley, I think) in black and cream, bagman support included
New FSA headset, Shimano external bottom bracket and all cables when new frame/forks fitted
Upgraded (in 2012) Shimano XT front and rear deraillers, mated to Tiagra brifters.
9 speed Deore triple chainset – 26/36/48 – you can climb any mountain with that gearing! Crank arms have scuffs – they’re original from new.
Profile Design bottle cages
I will also throw in the original wheels – Deore M530 hubs on 32H 700C Mavic Open Sport rims (these are grubby but have miles left in them, although I’ve not been able to get the cassette off the rear, and they’ve been sat forlornly in the shed for a couple of years so would benefit from a hub service) and the SPD pedals (new-ish). And if I can find it, there’s the original blue fork which you can also have.
I have the original sales receipt, hand book and several other receipts too. Also, a bottle of touch up paint that came with the frame.
I’m only selling this bike as it really doesn’t get used enough and I could do with the space. But I’m in no rush, so will not give it away. I’m looking for £750, but would consider a swap or part exchange for a steel fixed wheel bike (same size obviously) that has, or can take, fully fitted mudguards for winter commuting duties.

PM me for more details or photos. Bike will be going on eBay within the next week or so if there are no takers here. I've also listed it on YACF. You are welcome to come and try it - SE London/NW Kent area and I would be happy to post it at buyer's risk and expense.

Cheers
upload_2015-6-15_12-30-53.jpeg
upload_2015-6-15_12-31-30.jpeg

Jeez, you must've howled when you dinged that fork..

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
To be fair, it looks worse in the picture than in reality. Just scratches really - they'll touch up fine with the paint that comes with the bike.

rualexander

Legendary Member
The frame is not Reynolds 858, there is no such thing as that, the frame is Thorn's branded 4130 cro-mo steel, they badge it as 858 because that is the butted and unbutted thicknesses (0.8mm thick at the butted ends and 0.5mm thick in the middle of the tubes). The forks are made from Reynolds tubing but I'm not sure of the version.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
The frame is not Reynolds 858, there is no such thing as that, the frame is Thorn's branded 4130 cro-mo steel, they badge it as 858 because that is the butted and unbutted thicknesses (0.8mm thick at the butted ends and 0.5mm thick in the middle of the tubes). The forks are made from Reynolds tubing but I'm not sure of the version.
Thanks for clarifying. I've checked the label and it does just say 858, not Reynolds 858.

Top Bottom