The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
You snob :laugh::laugh:
The long established famous clubs must be full of stuck up types.
No doubt others must be great and have good members.
I have heard some of the lads that play golf at work say that some clubs struggle to attract members and have been losing members so try to attract new blood.
From my (limited) knowledge what evolved was........
Going back to the 50s/60s/70s golf clubs were for the wealthy with annual fees beyond Joe Bloggs PLUS a joining fee equal to a years sub.
To be accepted you had to be nominated. Then you had to have a round with the club captain and the club pro. This is still the case in some "posh" clubs.
Then in (I think) the 80s farmers were paid NOT to grow certain crops and thought ahaa...... I will create a golf course and its a win win. Suddenly there was an over abundance of clubs with too few members. Hence the lower fees and scrapping of the joining fee.
At our club I pay aporox £400 a year for 5 day membership. I play twice a week ut some of the members play maybe 5 times a week.
Sorry if that has bored you ^_^

Dave7

Legendary Member
Very grey here with rain promised.
Had a few drinks last night while watching my team get beat 3 nil by Barcelona......but still managed to drag myself out of bed :rolleyes:.
Golf today ( no frilly knickers) although I really dislike playing in constant rain.....hopefully it will be light.

PaulSB

Squire
Well I'm feeling listless.

Only thingsthat need doing are the insurance claim for our cancelled Vietnam/Cambodia trip - last of the medical paperwork arrived yesterday. Also have to start looking for car insurance. LV's renewal price of £323 for both cars looks good - I'm wondering if finding something substantially cheaper is likely???

I need to prepare an area for sweet peas...........

172traindriver

Legendary Member
From my (limited) knowledge what evolved was........
Going back to the 50s/60s/70s golf clubs were for the wealthy with annual fees beyond Joe Bloggs PLUS a joining fee equal to a years sub.
To be accepted you had to be nominated. Then you had to have a round with the club captain and the club pro. This is still the case in some "posh" clubs.
Then in (I think) the 80s farmers were paid NOT to grow certain crops and thought ahaa...... I will create a golf course and its a win win. Suddenly there was an over abundance of clubs with too few members. Hence the lower fees and scrapping of the joining fee.
At our club I pay aporox £400 a year for 5 day membership. I play twice a week ut some of the members play maybe 5 times a week.
Sorry if that has bored you ^_^

Not at all, that was interesting what you have said about the sudden growth of new courses.
The golf course near our town seems to fit in with what you describe.
The local farmer sold loads of land. There were 1,000 homes built and also a 9 hole course that has now become 18 holes.
I also remember hearing years ago of someone from work that had the meeting at another course but got black balled.
I guess it depends on which type of club you want to join

PaulSB

Squire
Pouring with rain now.

Today has got bored written all over it.:sad:

Top Bottom