The Green, Green, Grasshopper of Home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
The Green, Green Grasshopper of Home
N + 1
Most unexpectedly, I’ve acquired a HP Velotechnik Grasshopper.
Grasshopper 1.JPG

Grasshopper 2.JPG

Background.
During my search for the One I’d had a vague feeling that with all the positive write ups of the HP Streetmachine GT or Gte, on paper, that was the one to try, particularly with the 26/20 set up. It seems to be well rated for longer distance comfort and load carrying if not sportiness or light weight.

However, last year, getting to sit on a rather well worn, local, affordable steel GT model disabused me of that notion as the seat was uncomfortably high. Manageable on a level surface maybe, but no leeway for the sort of off roadish stuff that I like to do. This brought home to me yet again how limited the choice is for shorter recumbent two wheeler riders.

Since then, I’d been keeping an eye out for an affordable 20/20. The Grasshopper has been put forward as the “petite” person’s Streetmachine (Me! Petite?). I’d idly followed others for sale but since I’d had a bargain offer from a seller for a very well specified HP Velo Spirit (Be careful what you put on your watch list!) last year those had rather gone on the back burner since. The Spirit has acquitted itself very well over the miles since then. It’s so easy to get on and off and ride round town. Its only shortcoming has been that I couldn’t help wondering how it would be with USS. Tsk! No pleasing some people!

Earlier this year I sold the trike and had some space in the garage again.

Then along came this USS Grasshopper, local enough, and at an unexpectedly attainable (though by my standards, still high) price. If a recumbent turns up locally, I can't resist going to have a look, even though I know where that might lead.

So now here is a new experience, a USS 20/20 wheel SWB. not had one of these before.

Despite the mantra Never. Buy. Without. A. Test. Ride. I’d read enough about the Grasshopper to know that size wise it would fit. The boom was uncut and unadjusted, with plenty of chain to spare. I would have had to set it up before anyone could test ride it. Someone had ridden it enough to fall off it. As the boom was unmolested they must have been mighty tall.

First positive report: Not only is it extremely Green: it does indeed fold to go in the car easily without fully folding both back seats.

It has 35/406 Schwalbe Kojaks which ought to give a more sprightly ride at 95 psi than my other bikes. A SRAM Dual Drive which ought to give a gear range of about 20 -100 inches with 46T front and 11 -32T rear.

So far I have:

Shortened the boom extremely carefully.
Fitted a budget kickstand.
Fitted a bolt on rear light to rack.
Still waiting to sort a secure front light fitting and Garmin bracket.
Taken a little more off the boom, while being acutely aware that I couldn’t stick it back on again. Smoothed down and painted the cut end.
Adjusted leg length. Shortened seat and made the back less reclined.
Took some links out of the chain. Put two back as RD arm was a little too far forward on big/big.
Took a couple of inches off the chain tubes.
Lubricated chain, pulled through using old cloth to collect excess and dirt. Originally stiff/ noisy. Now much better.

Ready for a test ride when the weather improved.

Test Ride!

I’d wondered if having learned on a long wheelbase bike with under seat steering, I might find this USS short wheelbase bike tricky to ride. I was a little apprehensive on starting but in fact it works fine. I certainly managed to avoid falling off despite experimentally turning round in the road a few times. A previous owner must have tipped over, as the seat base bears the scars of battle. Some reports mention squirreliness. I can only assume that my other bikes must be squirrelly too. Or maybe I’m just used to small wheels. It feels quite stable to me. I’ve not yet tried it at speed downhill. The brakes work fine, as do the gears. The wheelbase is not actually so short, though I've not measured it.

It has some peculiarities. The USS bars have a friction mechanism that allows them to move if vertical pressure is applied to one end or the other, to avoid damage to handlebars or controls if the bike falls over. A bit disconcerting until you get used to it. Also remembering that the front wheel is under your knees after being used to LWB bikes, so go easy on the braking as the rear wheel could lift, or certainly be more prone to skid. Also the front wheel is no longer out front. If you’re heading for a lowered kerb, it’s not where you expect it to be, and the boom conceals that it’s not there. I've not noticed any heel strike despite having shortened the boom.

The advantage of the short wheelbase is that it has a smallish turning circle even with under seat steering. At least it has a chainguard protector each side of the front chainring to to prevent impalement of random pedestrians. Due to having a Sram Duo Drive hub it has no derailleur post out front. This has its uses for attaching gadgets to, or for resting a hand on while getting on and off. Still got to work on that.

The seat/BB relationship isn’t the issue that I thought it might be despite the seat being lower than the BB. The seat is more reclined than I’m used to, but that didn’t really stand out on the short test ride either. The boom needs extending a fraction before I can give a verdict. Because of the recline I find it difficult to sit forward when coming to a stop, which doesn’t cause any leg reach issues but might be useful for looking around at a junction. Adjustment, practice, or the need to wedge my feet under the settee and do a few hundred sit ups? I have no doubt that it’s solvable.
Grasshopper 3.JPG

The side stand fits solidly. It’s a full sized item rather than the shorter one I thought I’d need with the 20” wheels. It’s a different one to the rather weedy one in the picture. I can fold it while sitting on the bike. Extending it is more difficult as it’s at the limit of reach, and just out of sight, unlike the outsized one on the Linear. So getting on is easier than getting off, unless there’s a convenient kerb, wall or post available which are solutions well known to other short cyclists of long standing. A stand attached to a bicycle is a recent extravagance for me, as like many others, for decades I just used to find something to lean it on, but now I’ve got used to the idea it’s hard to do without. It’s just useful if you need to do some work on it.

It’s early days yet but it’s definitely got potential.

Last edited:
The Green, Green Grasshopper of Home
N + 1
Most unexpectedly, I’ve acquired a HP Velotechnik Grasshopper.
View attachment 745856

View attachment 745857
Background.
During my search for the One I’d had a vague feeling that with all the positive write ups of the HP Streetmachine GT or Gte, on paper, that was the one to try, particularly with the 26/20 set up. It seems to be well rated for longer distance comfort and load carrying if not sportiness or light weight.

However, last year, getting to sit on a rather well worn, local, affordable steel GT model disabused me of that notion as the seat was uncomfortably high. Manageable on a level surface maybe, but no leeway for the sort of off roadish stuff that I like to do. This brought home to me yet again how limited the choice is for shorter recumbent two wheeler riders.

Since then, I’d been keeping an eye out for an affordable 20/20. The Grasshopper has been put forward as the “petite” person’s Streetmachine (Me! Petite?). I’d idly followed others for sale but since I’d had a bargain offer from a seller for a very well specified HP Velo Spirit (Be careful what you put on your watch list!) last year those had rather gone on the back burner since. The Spirit has acquitted itself very well over the miles since then. It’s so easy to get on and off and ride round town. Its only shortcoming has been that I couldn’t help wondering how it would be with USS. Tsk! No pleasing some people!

Earlier this year I sold the trike and had some space in the garage again.

Then along came this USS Grasshopper, local enough, and at an unexpectedly attainable (though by my standards, still high) price. If a recumbent turns up locally, I can't resist going to have a look, even though I know where that might lead.

So now here is a new experience, a USS 20/20 wheel SWB. not had one of these before.

Despite the mantra Never. Buy. Without. A. Test. Ride. I’d read enough about the Grasshopper to know that size wise it would fit. The boom was uncut and unadjusted, with plenty of chain to spare. I would have had to set it up before anyone could test ride it. Someone had ridden it enough to fall off it. As the boom was unmolested they must have been mighty tall.

First positive report: Not only is it extremely Green: it does indeed fold to go in the car easily without fully folding both back seats.

It has 35/406 Schwalbe Kojaks which ought to give a more sprightly ride at 95 psi than my other bikes. A SRAM Dual Drive which ought to give a gear range of about 20 -100 inches with 46T front and 11 -32T rear.

So far I have:

Shortened the boom extremely carefully.
Fitted a budget kickstand.
Fitted a bolt on rear light to rack.
Still waiting to sort a secure front light fitting and Garmin bracket.
Taken a little more off the boom, while being acutely aware that I couldn’t stick it back on again. Smoothed down and painted the cut end.
Adjusted leg length. Shortened seat and made the back less reclined.
Took some links out of the chain. Put two back as RD arm was a little too far forward on big/big.
Took a couple of inches off the chain tubes.
Lubricated chain, pulled through using old cloth to collect excess and dirt. Originally stiff/ noisy. Now much better.

Ready for a test ride when the weather improved.

Test Ride!

I’d wondered if having learned on a long wheelbase bike with under seat steering, I might find this USS short wheelbase bike tricky to ride. I was a little apprehensive on starting but in fact it works fine. I certainly managed to avoid falling off despite experimentally turning round in the road a few times. A previous owner must have tipped over, as the seat base bears the scars of battle. Some reports mention squirreliness. I can only assume that my other bikes must be squirrelly too. Or maybe I’m just used to small wheels. It feels quite stable to me. I’ve not yet tried it at speed downhill. The brakes work fine, as do the gears. The wheelbase is not actually so short, though I've not measured it.

It has some peculiarities. The USS bars have a friction mechanism that allows them to move if vertical pressure is applied to one end or the other, to avoid damage to handlebars or controls if the bike falls over. A bit disconcerting until you get used to it. Also remembering that the front wheel is under your knees after being used to LWB bikes, so go easy on the braking as the rear wheel could lift, or certainly be more prone to skid. Also the front wheel is no longer out front. If you’re heading for a lowered kerb, it’s not where you expect it to be, and the boom conceals that it’s not there. I've not noticed any heel strike despite having shortened the boom.

The advantage of the short wheelbase is that it has a smallish turning circle even with under seat steering. At least it has a chainguard protector each side of the front chainring to to prevent impalement of random pedestrians. Due to having a Sram Duo Drive hub it has no derailleur post out front. This has its uses for attaching gadgets to, or for resting a hand on while getting on and off. Still got to work on that.

The seat/BB relationship isn’t the issue that I thought it might be despite the seat being lower than the BB. The seat is more reclined than I’m used to, but that didn’t really stand out on the short test ride either. The boom needs extending a fraction before I can give a verdict. Because of the recline I find it difficult to sit forward when coming to a stop, which doesn’t cause any leg reach issues but might be useful for looking around at a junction. Adjustment, practice, or the need to wedge my feet under the settee and do a few hundred sit ups? I have no doubt that it’s solvable.
View attachment 745858
The side stand fits solidly. It’s a full sized item rather than the shorter one I thought I’d need with the 20” wheels. It’s a different one to the rather weedy one in the picture. I can fold it while sitting on the bike. Extending it is more difficult as it’s at the limit of reach, and just out of sight, unlike the outsized one on the Linear. So getting on is easier than getting off, unless there’s a convenient kerb, wall or post available which are solutions well known to other short cyclists of long standing. A stand attached to a bicycle is a recent extravagance for me, as like many others, for decades I just used to find something to lean it on, but now I’ve got used to the idea it’s hard to do without. It’s just useful if you need to do some work on it.

It’s early days yet but it’s definitely got potential.

Nice N+1. I'm assuming that the USS can easily be converted to OSS if so desired? Anyways, looks to be a fun new toy to play with :okay:

PaulM

Guru
Strangley I also bought a Grasshopper after buying the Spirit, but didn't get on with it at the time. Mine was the ASS non-folding version. I had to cut the boom too. I took more off than I needed to, forgetting how you slide forward a bit in the seat a mile or two down the road.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Nice N+1. I'm assuming that the USS can easily be converted to OSS if so desired? Anyways, looks to be a fun new toy to play with :okay:

I might be a bit perverse in this respect, but it was the USS that appealed to me with this bike, having learnt to ride recumbents with USS originally. It's just so relaxed once you've got the hang of it. I believe the USS was an option, with OSS being standard on the Grasshopper. I've seen mention of a conversion kit being available from HPV for OSS to USS or vice versa but unless you already had a well loved bike with lots of history, it would probably be more economical to buy a bike with what you wanted already fitted with HPV parts pricing, the complications of Brexit, et al. Probably not impossible to make or adapt something, though.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Strangley I also bought a Grasshopper after buying the Spirit, but didn't get on with it at the time. Mine was the ASS non-folding version. I had to cut the boom too. I took more off than I needed to, forgetting how you slide forward a bit in the seat a mile or two down the road.

I've read several reviews where there seems to be a progression from the Spirit to the Grasshopper as a next bike. Some of the reviews describe the Grasshopper as being "squirrelly" too, though the folding model has a slightly longer wheelbase than the earlier non folding one, which must have had quite quick steering. The Grasshopper seems a bit Marmite, with the same sort of love or hate reactions from owners. I wonder if other 20/20 bikes such as the Challenge Hurricane generate similar reactions, as I've heard some describe it as "twitchy" while others say its steering is "responsive"? I've got so used to smaller sized recumbent sized wheels that the steering on my upright with 700C feels positively ponderous now when I take it round the block on one of my rare outings to keep it usable.

As for cutting the boom, after having had a couple of recumbents with car-like sliding seats for length adjustment it seems very strange to be taking a hacksaw to a bike to make non reversible changes to its fit just so you can ride it. Almost as strange as having to buy a different sized diamond frame bike to match different rider sizes, but at least you're not cutting bits off them. Imagine having to go through that sort of thing every time you bought a used car just so you could drive it? Someone would soon come up with a non destructive method of size adjustment (and of course they have).

PaulM

Guru

I am considering buying another. The folding would be useful. I had the non-folding version before. Also I'm more used to laid-back seat now than I was then. And I appreciate the BodyLink seat adjustability. I missed my chance with one on eBay recently, though that had a Rohloff and that is an unknown for me.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
I am considering buying another. The folding would be useful. I had the non-folding version before. Also I'm more used to laid-back seat now than I was then. And I appreciate the BodyLink seat adjustability. I missed my chance with one on eBay recently, though that had a Rohloff and that is an unknown for me.

I saw that Grasshopper on ebay. I don't know if there is a premium on Rohloffs but the seller was asking a lot. With used recumbents it's pretty much the luck of the draw what equipment spec turns up especially with the pick and mix set up that HP Velo has for new bikes. From my limited experience, the early ones, from 2008, are more likely to have a Sram Duo Drive as they were still in production then while later ones might have the derailleur post and triple on the front. Later ones also have calibrations on the boom which makes it easier to keep track pf adjustments and centralising it. Later ones are also more likely to have a mounting hole on top of the boom for a computer mount. Though after steeling yourself to use a hacksaw on it, drilling a hole for a rivnut or maybe several is a lot less of a painful proposition. Maybe there are are plastic boom clamps available for those averse to drilling holes.

Ebay has generally done well for me but the best prices are often elsewhere, if you are lucky enough to hit on the right one.

I use the old Minoura Space Grip on the main tube of my Kettwiesel for mounting a computer. The old one with the plastic stem and metal band fitting allowed me to clamp it to the tube with a super long stainless steel Jubilee clip. Sadly for us the new version uses a handlebar-sized clamp that doesn‘t look as adaptable.

I know you are happy with USS, but it looks like you could easily convert the Grasshopper to OSS with an appropriate tilting steerer, I think Terracycle sell such a thing. Or a Nazca steerer would also work, if someone had one spare.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
I use the old Minoura Space Grip on the main tube of my Kettwiesel for mounting a computer. The old one with the plastic stem and metal band fitting allowed me to clamp it to the tube with a super long stainless steel Jubilee clip. Sadly for us the new version uses a handlebar-sized clamp that doesn‘t look as adaptable.

I know you are happy with USS, but it looks like you could easily convert the Grasshopper to OSS with an appropriate tilting steerer, I think Terracycle sell such a thing. Or a Nazca steerer would also work, if someone had one spare.

I'd been looking at a way to attach something like that. Most similar things use handlebar sized plastic attachments which would attach it in the same direction as a handlbar, ie crosswise, so once you've found something which allows a 55mm+ clip it's still 90 degrees in the wrong direction when attached to the boom. I seem to recall when I had a Minoura space grip years ago one of the features was that it could rotate through 90 degrees. Annoyingly, I sold it attached to a bike yonks ago. I've got a few years' worth of mostly obsolete light mountings in my bits box which I will have to rummage through to see if something will adapt. Otherwise, all suggestions will be gratefully accepted!

So far, I am happy with USS. It's a lot less common than OSS nowadays, more often seen on older bikes -or tadpole trikes, of course. It's probably easier to convert to OSS than vice versa.

What am I saying? Common? When did most people last see a recumbent anything?

Top Bottom