Talk to me about 29ers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok so the insurance company have paid out, and I've got a big fat cheque to blow on a new bike.

I lost a 2011 Kona Cinder Cone, but I have no idea what to replace it with!

In the running are:

2013 Cinder Cone

2011 Caldera

2012 Kula

But because I do an 11 mile commute, on really rough roads, I've been looking at a 29er, see if I can chop some time off my commute, but what are they like? Are they worth the step away from 26 inch wheels?

vickster

Legendary Member
How tall are you - they are big! I considered one rather than an MTB - at 5'10, even on a small one, felt very stretched

billy1561

BB wrecker
I've got a Trek Cobia 29er size 19 and i'm 6-1 if that helps size wise.. It's a very quick rolling bike and sure footed too. I agree they look huge but due to the geometry i find i am more in the cab than on it. I really enjoy riding it and similar to you i use it mainly on the commute.

OP
OP
I

Intentionally_Blank

Cheers for that Billy, did you find it made your commute quicker? I've been nailing my 11 mile commute in 38-42 mins, not bad for a fatty on a mountain bike, IMHO anyway, lol, but I'm curious to know if I can shave any more time off with the bigger wheels.

marzjennings

Legendary Member
29er's do soak up the bumps on the road/trail better than a 26er and once rolling carry momentum a bit better.

I've been riding/racing one for about a year and I've been very happy.

Downsides, getting tubes and tyres from any shop is not a given. Some 29er wheels are weaker than 26ers. Acceleration isn't as good as a comparable 26er.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Cheers for that Billy, did you find it made your commute quicker? I've been nailing my 11 mile commute in 38-42 mins, not bad for a fatty on a mountain bike, IMHO anyway, lol, but I'm curious to know if I can shave any more time off with the bigger wheels.
Most definately quicker yes. Grippier on mud too if you go off road as there is more contact area. Not much to dislike really.

billy1561

BB wrecker
29er's do soak up the bumps on the road/trail better than a 26er and once rolling carry momentum a bit better.

I've been riding/racing one for about a year and I've been very happy.

Downsides, getting tubes and tyres from any shop is not a given. Some 29er wheels are weaker than 26ers. Acceleration isn't as good as a comparable 26er.
I think the tubes and tyre issues will be resolved as they become more common as in fact they appear to be this coming season.

marzjennings

Legendary Member
I think the tubes and tyre issues will be resolved as they become more common as in fact they appear to be this coming season.
Maybe, but 29ers have been popular over in the US for years and I still get problems sometimes finding new tyres* and tubes**.

For example on Halfords today, 14 makes of 26er and 1 for 29er.

*(Though that could also be due to the fact I need tubeless 29" tyres)

**(I only buy tubes for just in case the tubeless slime fails)

Top Bottom