Taking my P Line to 6 gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TC99

Regular
I have four gears. Its not enough. I want more with closer ratios.

Is this feasible?

Kell

Veteran
I'm not sure you'd ever be able to take it to a 6-speed. But maybe a 12-speed is possible.

I asked the question a while back after a mate of mine got his 4-speed.

This is the thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/adding-an-extra-gear-to-a-4-speed.290120/

But in the meantime, the 12-speed bike has launched which is a 4-speed derailleur and a 3-speed hub.

I don't know enough about them to know if it's a simple wheel swap and additional cabling. Something in the back of my mind has me thinking the 12-speed has a wider triangle, but not sure.

Weirdly, the 3-speed bike has a wider range - which would cure one of your problems - but make the other problem worse (the gaps between the gears). In fact I think one of the selling points of the 4-speed is the fact that the ratios are quite close.

Here's how the various bikes stack up.

12-speed-graph.png

Also, from another forum, someone emailed Brompton and got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting us here at the Brompton factory and for your interest in our bicycles.

Yes, you may upgrade your current 4-speed gear P line to 12-speed. However, the upgrade might be costly. Below there is the list of what parts customers will need to perform the upgrade based on the model they own:

• 12 Speed Hub Gear Indicator Chain
  • Hub Gear Cbl Pulley Ass Rr
  • Hub Gear Cbl Anchorage Sturmey
  • Hub Gear Shift Set with LH Brake
  • Superlight 12 Spd Brom Rear Wheel - Ryde
  • Rear wheel hub guide nut
Gear cable depending on HB type

• H Type hub gear cable
  • M Type hub gear cable
  • S Type hub gear cable

Last edited:
Top Bottom