"Tailwinds don't help Everesting cyclists."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Conversely if one has a tailwind when going downhill does it help?

Drago

Legendary Member
My response is something rollocks.

The aerodynamics are well understood, and the faster one goes the more resistance increases as a square of speed.

A tailwind might not help as a push or any kind of sail effect, but where it does score is reducing the velocity of the air relative to the rider, and thus the resistance.

The resulting advantage may be slight, nay, even immeasurable, but well established physics tells us it is there regardless of the nature of the gradient.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The article is worthless if it didn't consider these:
1727297795462.png

presta

Guru
I think people on here are getting the wrong end of the stick, they aren't saying there's no benefit from a tail wind, they're saying that if you cycle a round trip the tail wind that helps you one way has less effect than the head wind that hinders you on the way back. Unless you're doing a one way trip the overall effect of a wind is always negative.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think people on here are getting the wrong end of the stick, they aren't saying there's no benefit from a tail wind, they're saying that if you cycle a round trip the tail wind that helps you one way has less effect than the head wind that hinders you on the way back. Unless you're doing a one way trip the overall effect of a wind is always negative.

And by definition you will be cycling a round trip (multiple round trips in practice) if you are Everesting.

(Unless you happen to have a particularly large hill to climb like ... er ... Mount Everest)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And by definition you will be cycling a round trip (multiple round trips in practice) if you are Everesting.

(Unless you happen to have a particularly large hill to climb like ... er ... Mount Everest)

But surely it’s better to go downhill into a head wind rather than uphill?

Alex321

Guru
But surely it’s better to go downhill into a head wind rather than uphill?

Depends on how steep and twisty the hill is. If you would need to brake for corners, the the headwind probably has little effetc. But if you could freewheel all the way down and hardly touch the brakes, then it will have more slowing effect, as you willl be going faster, so bgenerating more resistance.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

That's what the suggestion is challenging, and I think they're right.

Because
1) drag goes as the square of the apparent wind* then
2) total energy expended = distance * drag integrated over the ride
3) A tailwind on a descent will reduce that total energy because the effect is the square of the apparent windspeed.

However, as others have noted, this assumes you don't brake during the descent. It also assumes that the wind is exactly in line with the course, and the course is exactly straight. In the real world, neither will be true, and sidewinds will net increase that drag (again, because of the square effect of drag).

*apparent wind means the wind you experience ie a tailwind of your exact speed = zero apparent wind

Top Bottom