Sturmey archer dyno hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi can anyone help I've bought a Raleigh rsw mark 3 bike and noticed that the front wheel wasn't spinning smoothly so I toolmk it apart I re greased the bearings and gave it a good clean. I had to buy cone spanners as my ones didn't fit anyway I'm having problems tighting the nut,if I tighting it then the wheel doesn't spin smoothly.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi can anyone help I've bought a Raleigh rsw mark 3 bike and noticed that the front wheel wasn't spinning smoothly so I toolmk it apart I re greased the bearings and gave it a good clean. I had to buy cone spanners as my ones didn't fit anyway I'm having problems tighting the nut,if I tighting it then the wheel doesn't spin smoothly.

Once you have adjusted the cones, are you holding the cone with one spanner whilst tightening the locknut with another to stop the cone from being tightened up and causing the bearings to be too tight to spin?

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Hi I'm having a problem tightning my axle locking nut I'm holding my cone properly but every time I tighten the wheel doesn't spin properly

This may be of help
SA Cone adjustment.png

This applies to Raleigh Twenties and their variants, and most likely to others that have a SA front hub of this period :okay:

PS - just seen your other post about it being a dynohub - I have no experience of this.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
we seem to have two different threads with the same replies going at the same time here. Mods?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Sorry for the late reply I ve tried now a few times and it's still not working. I've tightened the cone then the locking nut. I hold the cone spanner in place before I tighten the locking nut but every time the axle goes super rough.

Attachments

• 20240808_090541.jpg
    20240808_090541.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 4

silva

Über Member
Once when I picked up a bike at my LBS, after new bearings, I wanted to walk out the shop to test it and it felt like harder than usual to push it forward. 5 metres further I noticed alot play in the wheel.
The LBS owner took the bike back to see, and reason turned out to be a ball too much.
The tension pushed cone away from cup.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Are you on Facebook? There is a Sturmey Archer group were there are people familiar with this sort of problem.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/53591183941/

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sorry for the late reply I ve tried now a few times and it's still not working. I've tightened the cone then the locking nut. I hold the cone spanner in place before I tighten the locking nut but every time the axle goes super rough.

The dyno=hub will 'cog' slightly as the magnets and coils interact with each other, are you confusing this effect with 'rough' bearings ?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom