Stupid 'inner tube' Q re size.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DevsAd

Hi all.
I have a new-to-me bike (Trek 7.3), and upsizing the scary-skinny 28's - that's width and not dia - to a far more sensible 47. Got the tyres, and looking for tubes for best fit.
New tyres are 47-622. Am I best to go for tube sizes to suit these that have the '47' as their max size, or go the next range size up which begins at '47'? I can't see any that have 47 in their mid-size. I'm sure that either 'range' is fine, but curious as to whether going small or large is 'best'? And, if so, why?
Thanks. :-)

si_c

Guru
I'd go with the smaller size, the tube will fit comfortably and the larger one will likely weight quite a bit more and be slightly harder to fit and ensure nothing gets caught between the tyre and rim.

There is no downside to picking the smaller sized tube.

OP
OP
D

DevsAd

Thanks both.

Cheers, si_c - that makes sense. If there's no downside, then smaller it is :-)

I haven't actually checked, cyberknight, but the forks spacings seem similar to my previous bikes. 47's are 'wide' but not that much so! I really did not like the 28's - hard as nails, and scary-thin. I'm not into speed, just leisurely country rides, so happy to compromise for a softer ride - and the ability to cope with the local Tarka Trail. When I say that 47's are 'sensible', I mean for me! It's what my previous bike had.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Have you checked you have clearance for 47s? i am not saying you havent but it does seem pretty wide .
As for sizing as i come from old school where i use to ride 20 - 23 width i find 28s pretty wide .

and whether the rim width will support 47mm tyres? I cant be arsed to google what trek 7.3 is but sounds like a road focussed hybrid, so likely to be quite narrow rims.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There’s also the question of whether the 28 mm tyres are the original dimensions - they might be narrower than stock. But it’s definitely worth checking the frame and fork clearance and the wheel width. I once tried to put 28 mm tyres on a bike that came with 23s and they wouldn‘t go on. In fact 25s only just fit. This was not due to the width of the frame and fork, but due to the closeness of the seat tube to the wheel.

OP
OP
D

DevsAd

Thanks all - I'll report back :-)

Top Bottom