Static caravan purchase ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Considering purchasing a static caravan or lodge for holiday/residential use ?
I would urge you to visit the ' Holiday Park Action Group ' on Facebook and read the thoughts and experiences of over 60,000 members.

Last edited:

neilrichardson55

I had one now for 16 years on a park dean site. it really is a money pit and rip off, with there charges and increases and general treatment. i would not buy one again could have brought a house.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
I had one now for 16 years on a park dean site. it really is a money pit and rip off, with there charges and increases and general treatment. i would not buy one again could have brought a house.

Sorry to hear that Neil. I understand Park Dean are one of the ' big ' owners who between them have purchased many of the smaller family run sites and subsequently ' run roughshod ' over existing owners and massively increased costs. Unfortunately owners have no protection in law. The ' Action Group ' I mentioned are trying to raise awareness of this ' toxic ' industry and gain some protection for owners.
I'm sure you are aware of this situation Neil but if my post here causes even one potential buyer to pause and get fully informed before buying into what is a ' financial black hole ' then this post will have succeeded.

My wife and I looked into buying one a few years ago and very quickly dismissed the idea.

All the parks we looked at had an age limit on the static caravans after which time it had to be removed from site. Where to was the question but the site owners would offer a trade in against a new one. The figures simply didn’t stack up and buying a small cottage quickly became the obvious choice.

neilrichardson55

Sorry to hear that Neil. I understand Park Dean are one of the ' big ' owners who between them have purchased many of the smaller family run sites and subsequently ' run roughshod ' over existing owners and massively increased costs. Unfortunately owners have no protection in law. The ' Action Group ' I mentioned are trying to raise awareness of this ' toxic ' industry and gain some protection for owners.
I'm sure you are aware of this situation Neil but if my post here causes even one potential buyer to pause and get fully informed before buying into what is a ' financial black hole ' then this post will have succeeded.

Total agree 60k caravan site will buy it back for 4k and re sell for over 50 :sad: it’s just a loss be prepare to loss it all :sad:

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
They sell you a dream, and I undestand that having been there many years ago. Sadly nowadays in many (too many) cases that dream turns into a nightmare.

Last edited:
Money pit. Get a deal on a 6 berth tourer end of summer.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Depend on your car but why not get a touring caravan and put it on a seasonal pitch? There are storage facilities for wintertime which you have to pay for obviously unless you have room at home. Caveat some council planning departments forbid having them at home.
I have seriously considered this idea and my car already has a towbar so I may well go ahead tho' long term planning is probably not a good idea at my advanced age.:whistle:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you want a week in a caravan / park lodge every now and again, just rent it by the week. Its not a great hardship having to pack a bit more in the car just because you couldn't leave your favorite washing up sponge in situ!

You can then go to different locations, and not be stuck next to annoying Malcom & Sue who own the adjoining caravan :laugh:

Let some other daft bugger have the money pit of ownership.

Emanresu

£60K is at the lower end. Lots at £120K and some up to £400K in North Wales.

There are money pits and money caves. Bit out of touch with these prices. Ones locally going for £800K for a 125-year lease and 11.5 month year. Look like one of those American/Scandinavian timber homes. It's only a 3 bed.

Top Bottom