spray can paint advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think I need something hard wearing

As @Drago says you get that from the varnish top coat. Spray.bike do a matt or a gloss, for £10 a can - you need at least 2 or 3 coats. The Spraymax stuff may well be tougher.

Graff-city.com sell both types, the spraymax is £20 a can.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dolan-cx-refurb.287841/post-6970147
some pics of what I did on link.

Don't rush it, better to do more "light" coats that try to put on too much paint / varnish in one go. And wait a few days before rebuilding the bike as varnish coats can be touch dry, but take a while to fully harden.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Finish with a 2K spray such as Spraymax clear and it'll be as tough as any factory painted finish. Not cheap though, at 30 odd quid a can you're halfway to the cost of just getting it powder coated.

well powder coating might be a better option. im not sure yet

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It needs to be 2k for super tough, which is also very nasty stuff to spray. You've got to activate the 'mix' then use it. 18 months in on my commuter I'm happy with the spray cans. On my road bike, because of the paint choice, whilst it looks ace, it easily chips as it's too thick - it's a pearlescent white so needed a really good primer x 2, then 2-3 coats of the colour plus two gloss. The commuter just needed a primer and two colours and a single gloss.

Top Bottom