Specialized...you may want to rethink this one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You cant make it up. :wacko:

postman

Squire
I would have thought a free bit of advertising like this would be beneficial for Spesh.It could get the customer thinking, Spesh bikes.

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Trouble is, you protect a trademark or you lose it.
Certainly in the States, anyone who felt like it can sell a thermos flask, since the Thermos firm lost the rights to the trademark in 1963.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I think it is a shame when these things happen, however it is not just his shop which bears that name. He is selling custom wheels with the 'Roubaix' branding and I expect Specialized do not want products of unknown quality confused with products they offer bearing the same name.

Unfortunately I don't think it will end up good for anyone including me who I expect will be seen simply as a spech fanboy.

I'm curious to know though if specialized would have an issue, if products bearing this name were not being sold.. Guess only lawyers know.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'll give this comment a bit of U.S. flavor.

Oh, Specialized seem to be one of those sucky sort of brands.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I would have thought a free bit of advertising like this would be beneficial for Spesh.It could get the customer thinking, Spesh bikes.

But it's not free advertising for Specialized. It could get customers thinking that Specialized nicked/borrowed the Roubaix name from the bike shop. It seems to be picky but if a company doesn't defend its brand, it loses cachet amongst the (potential)customer base.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Seems a bit harsh, especially when there is a cycle brand called fuji that also make a bike called Roubaix.

I would have thought the spesh lawyers would have got that one sorted first.

zizou

Veteran
Disgraceful behaviour from Specialized

Although i wonder if there is more to the story - Fuji have a model called a Roubaix and numerous cycle clothing companies have tshirts with Roubaix on them or use terms like Roubaix fabric to describe fleecy lycra.

Top Bottom