Specialized Sirrus 6.0: What is this mounting hole for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ccy198703

Maybe a silly question but I am new to this space. Could any one tell me what is the mounting device for (as shown in the picture, right above the green label)?

More specifically, can I use it to install a kickstand?

Thank you!

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 50

DRM

Guru
No, I think that cover is to feed gear cables round the bottom bracket, as it looks to have internal cable routing

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Maybe our OP isn't British, the continentals and Yanks are quite into their kickstands, due to lack of fences and walls in those countries, where are we rightly seeing them as excess weight with limited niche uses

DRM

Guru
Given it is carbon clamping the frame with enough force to attach a kick stand sounds like a very bad idea , carbon is great within its design parameters but crushing force is not what it was deigned for .

I thought it looked like a carbon frame, but didn’t know enough about the bikes spec to be sure, however clamping anything to a carbon frame is lesson 1 of how to destroy a bike

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
As above not the type of bike designed to take a kickstand, see specification. https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/sirrus-60/p/200224

Suggest finding a Specialized dealer would be highly suggested for before moving forward with the idea

Regards the Avatar if correct MIT - Suggest American University for the 'member'

Review...
https://road.cc/content/review/specialized-sirrus-60-2023-303289

Last edited:
OP
OP
ccy198703

ccy198703

Thank you guys! Yes, I am American, and the city where I live is not too friendly to the idea of leaning the bicycle against walls.

I agree that a clamp-on kickstand is a bad idea for carbon. So just another option to consider: some merchants are selling a kickstand that can be installed between the crank and the pedal, as shown below. Does anyone have experience with such a device?

Attachments

• funny option.jpg
    funny option.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 28

Jameshow

Veteran
Thank you guys! Yes, I am American, and the city where I live is not too friendly to the idea of leaning the bicycle against walls.

I agree that a clamp-on kickstand is a bad idea for carbon. So just another option to consider: some merchants are selling a kickstand that can be installed between the crank and the pedal, as shown below. Does anyone have experience with such a device?

Looks a much better option...

DRM

Guru

No experience of such a device, but seems a perfectly good solution for a carbon framed bike, I had no idea such a thing existed

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru

I think the rear axle ones as suggested by @cyberknight would be more stable, the pedal one is at the mercy of the crank remaining in place and not rotating.

Reactions: DRM
OP
OP
ccy198703

ccy198703

you can get kickstands that mount to the rear thru axle , not sure if they would be ok ?

Um... I looked up a few shopping sites and somehow they all apply to quick-release axles only. Could you please send a few options that work with thru-axles? Thank you!

Top Bottom