SPD shoes renowned for generous space in toe box area ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guitars and Bikes

My shoes are shimano wide fit and the toe box space is neglible, and this is after sizing up. I have insoles from SOLE in them and because I have a high arch, I keep getting a corn on my right side little toe. A podiatrist said I need to get spd shoes that are generous in the toes area. I used to use shimano m087 and had zero issues, but they aren't made any more. Can you suggest any spd shoes that are generous in toes area ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
After similar problems I ended up going with Shimano shoes 2 sizes up from what would normally wear.

It means that the shoes are a bit long so I make sure that I do the straps up tight enough to stop my feet moving forward in the shoes.

I don't know why Shimano can't get the sizing right!

midlife

Guru
My Shimano SPD shoes are a size 44 and I’m normally a 42! Seem to recall Northwave do wide fittings but that was a few years ago now.

+1 for lake.

Cycling 30 years and these are the best shoes I've ever had. Understated colour (black grey) - very durable and most importantly very comfortable

Mine popped up for £70 - but well worth paying more for

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
unfortunately the best wide fit shoes i found were wiggle dhb troika/ dorica shoes , i have wide feet and these fit proper size so a 42 fits me and im a 42/8 in normal shoes.
so good i bought enough to last me when they were on offer, you can get them on ebay if you shop around,

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Lake wide fit shoes have plenty of room up front.
https://uk.lakecycling.com/pages/size-guide
I have the mx176 wide fit & they are very comfortable, previously I was getting alot of foot pain with narrower shoes.
+ another 1 for Lake. Try https://www.saltdogcycling.com/, the owner is great and very helpful if you need advice. Can't recall which one's I have but looking to move up to the MX177 soon.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
@Guitars and Bikes, thanks for starting this thread. Wide SPD shoes are an endless quest for me. I had three pairs of lace-up NorthWave ones which were extremely comfortable but they were discontinued about eight years ago. Cycle shoe sizing is completely bonkers. I'm starting to think that, for me, I might be better of ditching SPD pedals and shoes and reverting to flats in order to avoid torturing my feet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

@Guitars and Bikes, thanks for starting this thread. Wide SPD shoes are an endless quest for me. I had three pairs of lace-up NorthWave ones which were extremely comfortable but they were discontinued about eight years ago. Cycle shoe sizing is completely bonkers. I'm starting to think that, for me, I might be better of ditching SPD pedals and shoes and reverting to flats in order to avoid torturing my feet.

I hear ya dude. Shimano sizing is to be handled with care. I wear uk size 43, my shimano spd shoes are size 44,and I still have to wear a corn plaster on my right side little toe when wearing them. I looked into the lake shoes, but those prices......for shoes :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
I hear ya dude. Shimano sizing is to be handled with care. I wear uk size 43, my shimano spd shoes are size 44,and I still have to wear a corn plaster on my right side little toe when wearing them. I looked into the lake shoes, but those prices......for shoes :wacko:

If they last, are comfortable and you wear a lot, then they will represent better quality.
Sportpursuit often have Lake on special in selected sizes (have to sign up to view).

Top Bottom