Spa Elan 725

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No I don't have one but I pondered the possibility of getting a frame if I wanted to go for disc brakes.I don't suppose I ever will...

AndyRM

XOXO
A friend of mine has one and it's a lovely ride, she pretty much uses it for everything these days as it's very versatile.

Her other bikes will get jealous if she isn't careful!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
A friend of mine has one and it's a lovely ride, she pretty much uses it for everything these days as it's very versatile.

Her other bikes will get jealous if she isn't careful!

Indeed, that’s my issue! I have two bikes that’ll only take a 25mm but I’m attached to them both having had for 10+ years and the unicorn will only take 28s.
i just fancy something steel, with a double that will take a 35mm. The other Ti has a 35mm, but now a 1x, more for winter/rougher roads.
i don't have room to store another full size bike, selling the Brompton would fund but not help much on the space r
front!
Has to have SRAM with mech discs which rules out about 99% of the current off the shelf options :rolleyes:
Sonder have an alu option but it’s not as pretty as the Spa (and it’s alu)

AndyRM

XOXO
Indeed, that’s my issue! I have two bikes that’ll only take a 25mm but I’m attached to them both having had for 10+ years and the unicorn will only take 28s.
i just fancy something steel, with a double that will take a 35mm. The other Ti has a 35mm, but now a 1x, more for winter/rougher roads.
i don't have room to store another full size bike, selling the Brompton would fund but not help much on the space r
front!
Has to have SRAM with mech discs which rules out about 99% of the current off the shelf options :rolleyes:
Sonder have an alu option but it’s not as pretty as the Spa (and it’s alu)

A pleasing but tricky dilemma... Afraid I can't help you on the decision making front but if those are your criteria I'd not hesitate to recommend the Elan.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
A pleasing but tricky dilemma... Afraid I can't help you on the decision making front but if those are your criteria I'd not hesitate to recommend the Elan.
Thanks!
Do you happen to know how tall she is and what size frame? Looking at the geometry the sizing is based on ST rather than TT (obviously as I already have one of their bikes I'd confirm sizing with them, just curious)

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks!
Do you happen to know how tall she is and what size frame? Looking at the geometry the sizing is based on ST rather than TT (obviously as I already have one of their bikes I'd confirm sizing with them, just curious)

Just shy of 5'7" and has standard limbs (ie not all spindly). I believe she's got a 54cm frame.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Just shy of 5'7" and has standard limbs (ie not all spindly). I believe she's got a 54cm frame.

ah cool. I reckon I probably would be a 54cm too. I was just a bit thrown the by TT length, 552cm (although that's pretty much the same as the equivalent TT measurement on my M AR-1, I certainly wouldn't want smaller)

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have just been out on my Spa Aubisque, which is similar to the MK1 Elan, apart from the shorter head tube and steel fork on my bike.

It (the Aubisque) is not a lightweight and not racy, but I find it comfortable and very stable; great for longer rides as well as short ones. I imagine the Elan would be similar, but around 1kg lighter. If it was stolen I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Elan now they come in nice colours.

I hope that's some help.

AndyRM

XOXO
What colour does she have? I’d go for the mk1 with QR, better colours and cheaper!

The copper one. When it catches the sun it's quite something. No actual pictures I'm afraid!

4590-0-full-elan-bronze-front-low-res--25-17.jpg

Top Bottom