Some help, please.. MBK enthusiasts ?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EllenH

Hello fellow bike-riders. I found this bike in the garage from a friends dad, who past away recently. I see that’s it a MBK Mirage.. I think sport edition.. but if someone could help me with the year it was produced.. I see the gear is Shimano, so I think original but how many gears are there?!
How much can he ask if he would sell it, as it is... thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_1837.jpeg
    IMG_1837.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1839.jpeg
    IMG_1839.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1838.jpeg
    IMG_1838.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1843.jpeg
    IMG_1843.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1875.jpeg
    IMG_1875.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1878.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1880.jpeg
    IMG_1880.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 29

Drago

Legendary Member
At a guess around 1988-89. Get the 2 charchter Shimano date code off the rear of the cranks and that'll give you a better idea.

Moderately decent frame, the next rung up from gas pipe (just), uninspiring if perfectly useable running gear. Probably a decent enough machine to ride although the plain gauge frame isn't anything special I'm afraid, the 'inexternal' bit refers to some internal lug arrangement they used which (if memory serves) made it more suited to being machine brazed.

Cleaned, serviced and and in good running order somewhere around the £125-150 mark with the all important to the right buyer caveat. Someone just looking for a tidy old bike for general use would probably be reluctant to stump beyond £100ish. I'm afraid the small frame size will seriously reduce the potential market.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A certain pro team that was paid to ride them joked that the initials stood for "Made By Klingons".

Edit: It was a quote from the cyclist formerly known as Robert Millar, so it must have been Fagor-MBK in the late 80s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EllenH

At a guess around 1988-89. Get the 2 charchter Shimano date code off the rear of the cranks and that'll give you a better idea.

Moderately decent frame, the next rung up from gas pipe (just), uninspiring if perfectly useable running gear. Probably a decent enough machine to ride although the plain gauge frame isn't anything special I'm afraid, the 'inexternal' bit refers to some internal lug arrangement they used which (if memory serves) made it more suited to being machine brazed.

Cleaned, serviced and and in good running order somewhere around the £125-150 mark with the all important to the right buyer caveat. Someone just looking for a tidy old bike for general use would probably be reluctant to stump beyond £100ish. I'm afraid the small frame size will seriously reduce the potential market.

Thank you very much!!

Top Bottom