Smart Meters, Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't want one mainly cos Maz will find out exactly how much leaving my QUAD poweramps on costs, :whistle:

40w each

Emanresu

Seem to recall utilities are only ordering/allowed to order Smart Meters. So when your meter is end-of-life you'll get one. You can have it set to 'dumb' if you want. But they can remotely switch them to pre-pay if you run up a big bill.

markemark

Über Member
When they fail they mostly work as a dumb meter so no worse off. Benefit for us is we get 75% off night time electricity so charging the car is massively cheaper. We then run other appliances at night when we can be bothered. Saves us considerably. Only possible with a smart meter.

When they fail they mostly work as a dumb meter so no worse off. Benefit for us is we get 75% off night time electricity so charging the car is massively cheaper. We then run other appliances at night when we can be bothered. Saves us considerably. Only possible with a smart meter.

Exactly. Unless someone (like yourself) is running a tariff that is cheaper for use in off peak times and have the ability to set your usage to match those times then thats the only time it still needs to offer the Smart Functions.

For everyone else then provided the Smart Meter is still reading the use correctly it doesn't matter. If the electric company can't connect to it, just take a picture and send that.

dicko

Guru
Our Smart Meters were fitted on August 14th just over a month ago. Everything works just fine and each day I can see just how little electricity and gas we are using. This is our solar/battery to thank for the pennies a day it’s costing us the In Home Display also starts off each day showing the rental charge of 78.6p before elec and gas are added. We never get over £2.30 worth (dull day no solar) used a day (including meter rental) and yes I can recommend a smart meter.
ps We need a smart meter to access OctopusEnergy Flux that’s why we fitted them.

si_c

Guru
Our house had smart meters when we moved in, so no option to have them or not despite previously having avoided it. The lack of a need to submit readings as well as accurate bills has been the expected upside, so essentially meeting the minimum expectations. Sadly we didn't have a display EDF wanted IIRC £50 to supply one. Given that we already turn things off when we're not using them and have no kids, I didn't see the point in wasting the money on getting one, given it's unlikely to result in any savings.

So overall a disappointing experience.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
When they fail they mostly work as a dumb meter so no worse off.
That accounts for 10% of all meters, but they're just the faults that the industry is admitting to, all the other faults they don't count take the total faults to 19%.
They tried recently to connect to mine after some sort of software update but have confirmed that they can't. Complete waste of time them installing it over four years ago.
I thought the SMETS2 meters were supposed to have fixed that sort of thing.
We need a smart meter to access OctopusEnergy Flux that’s why we fitted them.
I've been on their basic variable tariff since they took over from Shell, I can't get anything else without a smart meter. Fortunately the cost seems to be within a fairly small amount of the best price Moneysupermarket could find, for the time being at least.

a.twiddler

Veteran
We still have first generation smart meters which haven't worked as such since we left Scottish Power many power company changes ago. We've been with Outfox the Market for some time now and we got monthly reminders to send in readings. I've not had a reminder for a couple of months but sent the readings anyway. I note that the readings were already showing when I sent them again, and were accurate, so although I've had no notification that the smart meters are being read remotely, I just check them now, and don't resend if they are up to date and accurate. Mysterious.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Ours have both been replaced. The first gen ones couldn’t maintain a connection. We are still not getting regular bills which is frustrating but can at least see the number on the meter. Does anyone find the plug in display gizmo useful? It was interesting for the first day then it stopped working but I can’t see how it would have been useful to us.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Seem to recall utilities are only ordering/allowed to order Smart Meters. So when your meter is end-of-life you'll get one. You can have it set to 'dumb' if you want. But they can remotely switch them to pre-pay if you run up a big bill.

That seems to be smart for the company, not smart for the individual.

Top Bottom